Contribute
Register

No monitor info in display panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried this but unfortunately it does not work either. This time when I plug in the HDMI cable, the internal display goes blank, but the external display does not get a signal either. I had to press and hold the power button to force power off.

You failed to attach any PR files.

Sorry. Here are the files.

I found the reason why HDMI goes blank. It's because when I nulled out port 0204 I forgot to change the "priority" byte of port 0105 from 09 to 12. After I fixed that it no longer goes blank:

01050900 00040000 87000000 02040900 00040000 87000000
To:
01051200 00080000 87000000 FF000000 01000000 40000000

However, everything is the same: If you check the before_HDMI files, ioreg shows frame buffer #2 still has a port number of 6 (even if I set it to FF00). It's just that the connector type is changed to 01000000. When plugging the HDMI cable, port 0105's connector type changed to 0004 0000 again.

Same problems exist as before: 1. The mirror option button in the panel does not show monitors; 2. If boot with lid closed and HDMI connected, it crashes when waking from sleep.

I'm really baffled with the following questions:

1. Why the connector type changes when HDMI cable is plugged in? I haven't seen anyone else reporting a similar issue;
2. Why does the "priority" byte matter when it's the only port that has this number? The posts I read suggest this number along with the delay number determine the priority. But it seems it can also affect other things. If so, what values are valid that I can try?
3. When I removed inject_intel I lost graphics QE/CI, but the mirror button in the panel became normal. Does that mean when something enables QE/CI it also "breaks" this function?
4. Does ig-platform-id matter in this case? I've tried several and didn't see any difference. I even tried one that comes with 4 ports instead of 3. I tried to remove this from clover but it still got the 0x0a260006 value.
5. Does DVMT matter? I have 32MB for now and my BIOS does not have an option to increase it. There are guides that could update it which I haven't tried.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your continuous help!

Sorry. Here are the files.

I found the reason why HDMI goes blank. It's because when I nulled out port 0204 I forgot to change the "priority" byte of port 0105 from 09 to 12. After I fixed that it no longer goes blank:

01050900 00040000 87000000 02040900 00040000 87000000
To:
01051200 00080000 87000000 FF000000 01000000 40000000

Yeah, the 09->12 change is a very common required patch...

However, everything is the same: If you check the before_HDMI files, ioreg shows frame buffer #2 still has a port number of 6 (even if I set it to FF00). It's just that the connector type is changed to 01000000. When plugging the HDMI cable, port 0105's connector type changed to 0004 0000 again.

Same problems exist as before: 1. The mirror option button in the panel does not show monitors; 2. If boot with lid closed and HDMI connected, it crashes when waking from sleep.

You might try nixing AppleALC and using patched AppleHDA intead (Mirone's AppleHDA patcher).

1. Why the connector type changes when HDMI cable is plugged in? I haven't seen anyone else reporting a similar issue;

Might be something AppleALC is causing...

2. Why does the "priority" byte matter when it's the only port that has this number? The posts I read suggest this number along with the delay number determine the priority. But it seems it can also affect other things. If so, what values are valid that I can try?

We just know that changing from 09->12 commonly avoids KP/restart on HDMI plug in.

3. When I removed inject_intel I lost graphics QE/CI, but the mirror button in the panel became normal. Does that mean when something enables QE/CI it also "breaks" this function?

Without QE/CI, all bets are off/comparisons invalid. Totally different graphics drivers involved there...

4. Does ig-platform-id matter in this case? I've tried several and didn't see any difference. I even tried one that comes with 4 ports instead of 3. I tried to remove this from clover but it still got the 0x0a260006 value.

Clover default is probably 0x0a260006 for Haswell mobile.

5. Does DVMT matter? I have 32MB for now and my BIOS does not have an option to increase it. There are guides that could update it which I haven't tried.

0x0a260006 assumes/requires 32mb anyway.

Hi, RehabMan, thank you so much for your patience and answering all my questions! At least I've got something to try (and more time to spend in the weekend :crazy:)

I tried Mirone's AppleHDA patcher before but it didn't work for me. Somehow the internal speaker was never identified. AppleALC works OOB (for the most part). I will give AppleHDA patcher another try then.

My codec was recognized as "Realtek ALC3226" in Ubuntu. If I remember correctly I didn't find this option in Mirone's AppleHDA patcher. Someone suggested to use ALC292 instead (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/realtek-alc3226-compatiable-kext-for-sierra.222840/). Maybe that was the problem? I don't have the PR file to show you now but I do have the codec dump (attached).

Hi, RehabMan, thank you so much for your patience and answering all my questions! At least I've got something to try (and more time to spend in the weekend :crazy:)

I tried Mirone's AppleHDA patcher before but it didn't work for me. Somehow the internal speaker was never identified. AppleALC works OOB (for the most part). I will give AppleHDA patcher another try then.

My codec was recognized as "Realtek ALC3226" in Ubuntu. If I remember correctly I didn't find this option in Mirone's AppleHDA patcher. Someone suggested to use ALC292 instead (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/realtek-alc3226-compatiable-kext-for-sierra.222840/). Maybe that was the problem? I don't have the PR file to show you now but I do have the codec dump (attached).

Note that your codec id is Realtek ALC292:
Code:
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0292

Ah, I see. So ALC292 is the correct one. I will try it then. Thank you!

So I tried removing AppleALC.kext. Before trying to patch AppleHDA again, I checked a few things. It seems Removing AppleALC didn't change anything except that I lose my internal speaker. I still don't have correct mirror options and it still crashes if booting with lid closed and I do one of the following 2 things: 1. put it to sleep and wake it up or; 2. open the lid.

What surprises me is that I still have HDMI audio working properly. I thought to get HDMI audio work I need to have AppleALC or patched AppleHDA. But now I have neither. Could you please help me check what is going on here? PR files attached. Is CodeCommander alone good enough to make HDMI audio work?

The HDMI audio works when the connector type is (automatically changed to) 0004 0000. If I boot the laptop with lid closed, the connector type is 0008 0000 instead, then I do NOT have the HDMI audio (and it crashes when I open the lid). It almost makes me think 0004 0000 is the correct connector type for me! so confused now :crazy:

Does OS check patch have anything to do with this? I used Windows 8 section when I patched DSDT, but I just found that Clover Wiki recommends Windows 2001:

https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Fixing-DSDT#DSDT-mask

It is always correct to mask the system as Windows 2001. Even if you find Darwin in your DSDT, mask it as Windows2001.

Is using Windows2001 still the current recommendation?

So I tried removing AppleALC.kext. Before trying to patch AppleHDA again, I checked a few things. It seems Removing AppleALC didn't change anything except that I lose my internal speaker. I still don't have correct mirror options and it still crashes if booting with lid closed and I do one of the following 2 things: 1. put it to sleep and wake it up or; 2. open the lid.

What surprises me is that I still have HDMI audio working properly. I thought to get HDMI audio work I need to have AppleALC or patched AppleHDA. But now I have neither. Could you please help me check what is going on here? PR files attached. Is CodeCommander alone good enough to make HDMI audio work?

The HDMI audio works when the connector type is (automatically changed to) 0004 0000. If I boot the laptop with lid closed, the connector type is 0008 0000 instead, then I do NOT have the HDMI audio (and it crashes when I open the lid). It almost makes me think 0004 0000 is the correct connector type for me! so confused now :crazy:

Does OS check patch have anything to do with this? I used Windows 8 section when I patched DSDT, but I just found that Clover Wiki recommends Windows 2001:

https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Fixing-DSDT#DSDT-mask

Is using Windows2001 still the current recommendation?

Work on fixing audio with patched AppleHDA.

Thanks, RehabMan. Yes I did try that but haven't been able to get it work. So I downloaded Mirone's patcher v1.9 and patched ALC 292. If I understand it correctly, I just need the files in the Clover folder. So I installed aDummyHDA.kext, and added the changes in config.plist to my clover folder (two kext patches and inject audio layout =2). Rebooted the laptop, and now both internal speaker and HDMI audio are gone. Could you please check what I'm doing wrong here? PR files attached. Thank you!

Thanks, RehabMan. Yes I did try that but haven't been able to get it work. So I downloaded Mirone's patcher v1.9 and patched ALC 292. If I understand it correctly, I just need the files in the Clover folder. So I installed aDummyHDA.kext, and added the changes in config.plist to my clover folder (two kext patches and inject audio layout =2). Rebooted the laptop, and now both internal speaker and HDMI audio are gone. Could you please check what I'm doing wrong here? PR files attached. Thank you!

Attach aDummyHDA.kext that you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back