Graphics
GTX 1060
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Specs:
  • GA-Z87X-UD5H
  • 16GB RAM
  • GTX760
  • 2x256GB SSD (1 for OSX, 1 for Windows 7)

I created the USB installer with UB 5.0.1. It would not boot into the installer unless I used the "maxmem=4096" option. Clean install of Yosemite completed without errors. At restart, booted to USB and selected Yosemite drive. Display showed Apple logo and progress bar which slowly proceeded to roughly halfway before stopping. After about 2-3 minutes, display changed to an all-white screen with a mouse pointer (which does respond to mouse movements).

I'm out of ideas - any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

UPDATE: I did have Mavericks 10.9.5 running on this build. Everything was working, including iMessage and audio.

I would either rebuild the thumb drive and try it again or make sure you have everything backed up and reformat and do a clean install of the drive you are going to install to.

Some progress here. I tried booting from the USB installer, selected the Yosemite drive, but this time specified "-v -f -x". The rest of the installer ran normally, including WiFi network selection, Migration Assistant (which I used to restore my apps & settings from Time Machine), and then I was able to login and get to the desktop. Once there I ran MB and used tailchaser's settings from his build (same motherboard) and rebooted...

...and now I get the "no" symbol after the Apple logo appears and the progress bar goes about 1/3 of the way. I tried rebooting with -v to see where it was getting stuck, but that didn't show anything. By the time it was stuck all I had was a black screen.

I may just follow your advice, zeitgeist, and start over with a fresh UB setup.

No luck w/clean Yosemite install - GA-Z87X-UD5H [SUCCESS]

I rebuilt the UB installer but on a different USB drive. Installation of Yosemite was again successful, but the first boot of the Yosemite drive threw a KP just when Migration Assistant was starting (the "deadbeef" message). So I wiped the SSD again and reinstalled the OS. This time I had to supply "maxmem=4096" in addition to "-v -f -x" for the first boot of the SSD (or I got "deadbeef" again). This time I did not run Migration Assistant - the goal was just to get Yosemite running stably. When I ran MB, I applied the same options as before with the exception of Trim (according to this article, that was a possible cause of the "no" symbol) and now I can boot via Chimera into Yosemite without any kernel flags. So perhaps there's a problem with MB's replacement of the kext for trim enabling?

The only problem now is that my USB ports are not reliable. I have an Apple wired keyboard and it will not work immediately upon startup. I have to either wait a few minutes or unplug/replug it in. It doesn't matter if I use a 2.0 or 3.0 port.

Also, I think I made a mistake by running Migration Assistant as part of the OS install during my first attempt. Apparently it tried to restore the Extra folder which may have gotten things confused. This time I waited until after I had a stable system to run MA, which still restored the Extra folder but didn't overwrite the existing one. Instead it made a copy named "Extra (from old Mac)".

UPDATE: My build is now up & running & stable with Yosemite. The only glitch is the aforementioned USB issue. My keyboard is unresponsive when the login prompt appears on startup. I have to wait at least 30 seconds or so and then it will work normally.

So here are my build steps:

1. Backup your OSX boot drive
  2. Create USB installer from UB per normal procedure (including copying MB to USB)
  3. Boot to installer - specify "maxmem=4096" option
  4. Repartition/reformat OSX boot drive
  5. Install Yosemite, reboot per normal procedure
  6. Boot to installer, select OSX boot drive, specify "maxmem=4096 -v -f -x" options
  7. Allow Yosemite installer to complete - do not run Migration Assistant now
  8. After installation completes, login to Yosemite
  9. Run MB, using tailchaser's options - do not enable Trim or USB3 Universal!
  10. After MB completes its installs, reboot

At this point, you should be up and running, including audio and iMessage/Messages. You can now run Migration Assistant if you want to restore your settings, apps, etc.

I have exactly build, excepto 4GB instead of 2 in 770.
But I get the message: ¨don´t find mach_kernel¨

Have you get this?

I put the root S/L/K/k and I Get Kernel Panic.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Yes I was getting that message when I tried to upgrade from Mavericks. Unfortunately I did not find a way around it, which was one of the reasons I decided to do a clean install of Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back