Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,
I was having too many problems with my GTX 1080 ti, especially since I use my computer for a lot of video rendering. The driver situation was so bad, I was unable to render anything using my GPU, and had to rely on CPU-only rendering unless I wanted Adobe to crash on me.

So, once Apple announced native support for some AMD cards for eGPU, I figured I could finally switch to Radeon and leave problems behind. I purchased a Radeon Pro WX 7100, manufactured by AMD. The card is on the list Apple published, and the board ID is already listed in relevant AMD* kexts. However, I'm running into issues from the card, mainly that I don't have working hardware acceleration (neither OpenCL nor Metal work).

I'm running an Asus X99 Pro USB 3.1 MB with a MacPro 6,1 sysdef, and I've tried Lilu + WhateverGreen, and RadeonDeInit, and neither solution seems to help. I have two BIOS options for my board, one UEFI, and one standard, neither of them will enable HW acceleration. Am I missing something obvious, or is this card just not doing to work on my setup?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm running 10.13.4, with the 2018-001 Security Update

UPDATE: I can benchmark Metal and OpenGL with GFXBench, but as soon as I try to render from Adobe (even on CPU only) the whole system freezes. Any ideas?

I was able to get Metal working in Adobe Media Encoder (not Premiere) by using SwapID.kext. It's not ideal, but it works for now. It seems to be an issue with Apple's drivers not fully supporting certain cards, even though they are on the HCL. Now I'm trying to figure out why my computer won't boot with two of them installed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back