Contribute
Register

No hard drive listed in disk utility during Mavericks install, only Unibeast USB drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I can get into the installation, fine, actually for the first time with no boot flags needed. however it is not recognizing my hard drive. It's listed on the boot loader screen and in the bios but not in the installer. Originally it was on port 1, I switched to port 0... I don't know what to try. I searched and saw a few people with the same problem but I didn't see any solutions, someone said they used BridgeHelper, but that says its for Lion only...

I have a Dell Studio 540
3.0 GHZ Core 2 Quad Q9650
Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATA

Ive been having trouble installing even snow leopard on this drive, which is weird, bc on my other 500gb drive I installed no problem. I believe it may be something with AHCI. I do not have an option in my BIOS for AHCI only ATA or RAID, and from what I've read, people say that putting in RAID will put it in AHCI mode.

If anyone has suggestions throw em my way, thanks!!!

I hooked my drive up to a SATA to USB cable and the installation recognizes the disk, and I was able to format and its installing right now. However, I know that I am going to need some kext to be able to boot normally after install. I know I'll be facing a "still waiting for root device" error.

I know my system does not have an AHCI option in my bios but from what i've read, I wouldn't have been able to even get to the installer if that was true. Don't know if thats correct or not.

In this thread - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...illa-installation-doesnt-find-my-drive/page-2

I see people having the same problem with a Mountain Lion install, and it was suggested to use a couple different Kexts, I'm just not sure which to choose, if trying all would hurt, or if I should be using different ones on Mavericks, I'm currently looking for downloads for these to try...

IOATAFAMILY.KEXT
AppleAHCIPort.kext
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext ( I believe this is included in multibeast but never seemed to help my "still waiting for root device" )

When it comes to kexts, I'm a little lost, i'm not sure which does what, or like I said, if installing multiple of the above would cause issues since they seem to be similar all relating to ATA and AHCI.

If anyone can give me some advice on the above kexts, and where to get them for Mavericks, i'd really appreciate it!

"I know my system does not have an AHCI option in my bios but from what i've read, I wouldn't have been able to even get to the installer if that was true. Don't know if thats correct or not."

I have used an Intel MB in the past and had to change the BIOS from RAID to AHCI to be able to boot from the OS X disk.

The RAID setting does include AHCI functionality but will not recognize an AHCI formatted disk - blue screen in Windows.

I don't believe that anyone has had success using the RAID setting. :|

Also not sure that you will be able to start OS X with an external USB disk.

I was able to install Mavericks Successfully, and I was able to boot into Mavericks booting with the Unibeast USB and selecting my drive still hooked up external. When switching it back to the internal SATA port, i get "still waiting for root device". My bios setting is in Raid, so i'm not sure if AHCI is working or not, or if this is a different problem. The drive is hooked up to port 0.

I noticed in Multibeast, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and also 3rd Party SATA is there (clicked by default), not sure if thats the same as AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext

I'm going to wait for some feedback before trying anything with multibeast or additional kexts because when trying SL, i would get this far, install multibeast and then just get "still waiting for root device" and be locked out of my install and have to restart. Maybe I won't have this problem if its hooked up external, but i'm not in a rush so i'll just wait for some advice before I try anything.

also something to through out there, I have an xfx radeon HD5770, does anyone know if this is supported already with multibeast or if i need to scour for a kext? I had to do that in SL but it was new at the time.

Man, I have exactly the same system (even bought a SSD and tried the external USB thing like you) with the same results.

Let me know if you found a solution. I'm running Windows on my 540s now, but as soon as I can get the HD to be recognised & Boot, I'll run OSX Maverics with XBMC as my media centre.

Cheers!

thanks for your posts. Its helped me out a good bit. Im still working on it but at least im not at a complete stand still anymore.

also, would you be able to post a list of kexts with multibeast post install? for me and future viewers of this thread.

thanks again

have you managed to fins a way to get the installer to recognize your hard drive?

hey guys. i managed to get my hard drive recognised by tweaking from IDE to AHCI mode in the BIOS.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back