Register

No Ethernet after router change

Motherboard
z270m
CPU
i7 5500
Graphics
1050 ti
Hello, hope you have a great start of the week.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've been using my Sierra and PC with ethernet cable without issue (Jumping from one to the next and back). Today it stopped recognizing my Ethernet cable. Says not connected. Here is what happened that couldve caused it:

I had issues with my internet provider and I had to install TL-WN725N_V3_180205_Mac (I suspect it might be this since i didnt have it installed. Can test uninstalling it after my job is done) to use a wifi dongle.

My internet provider gave me a new router. It works on the PC, but stopped being recognized on Sierra. On system report the Ethernet controller is still there.

Hello, hope you have a great start of the week.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've been using my Sierra and PC with ethernet cable without issue (Jumping from one to the next and back). Today it stopped recognizing my Ethernet cable. Says not connected. Here is what happened that couldve caused it:

I had issues with my internet provider and I had to install TL-WN725N_V3_180205_Mac (I suspect it might be this since i didnt have it installed. Can test uninstalling it after my job is done) to use a wifi dongle.

My internet provider gave me a new router. It works on the PC, but stopped being recognized on Sierra. On system report the Ethernet controller is still there.
Does your ISP give you a new ROUTER or MODEM?

You know, if it is a router, after you set the correct configuration you should be able to use two ethernet cables to connect to your PC and Sierra PC without needing to switch the cable between the two computers, which I believe is what you have been doing.

If you have been switching the cable regularly between the 2 computers, the securing mechanism on the cable may become loose and no longer be able to securely connect to the ethernet port of the computers.

Do you have another ethernet cable that you can use to test?

Thank you!

For some reason Location serivce had a Manual DCHP instead of automatic. Correcting that fixed it.

On top of that the ethernet cable was faulty,

Working again!

Have a great day.

Back