Graphics
GeForce GTX 680 4096MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just installed the a 680 in my hack. Running 10.8.3. Upgraded from GTX 470, where I had dual monitors no problem. I'm at a loss, since the 680 is supported natively in ML. MOBO is GA-Z68X-UD5-B3.

I've tried everything I can think of, including doing a fresh install of ML and re-updating to 10.8.3. Nothing changes. GraphicsEnabler is set to No.

Also, it seems as though it's specifically the dual monitor issue that's tripping up the card, because the HDMI port works as long as that's the only thing plugged in and the DVI port works as well as long as HDMI isn't plugged in. If both monitors are plugged in, the HDMI goes out.

Also, if I try to restart with both plugged in, the DVI monitor will display through the boot process, but once I get past the apple logo screen, the DVI monitor cuts out and the HDMI monitor comes on and goes white and stays white. Very strage.

Any help/advice would be most greatly appreciated.

possibly the card? i have an evga gtx 680 ftw 4gb... i can run duals without issue, although my hdmi will only put out 1080p (displayport and dvi-d will both run 2560x1440)

i would REALLy like for hdmi to run at 2560. it will do it in windows... just not osx.

possibly the card? i have an evga gtx 680 ftw 4gb... i can run duals without issue, although my hdmi will only put out 1080p (displayport and dvi-d will both run 2560x1440)

i would REALLy like for hdmi to run at 2560. it will do it in windows... just not osx.

What monitor do you have?

currently setup with 2 x asus pb278q

also tried with a dell u3011 (suprisingly, i liked my asus monitors better. a LOT more control) - same result. it wouldnt run 2560 over hdmi through mac... but would over windows.

i may try later to hookup one of these to a mac mini i have laying around and see if i get the same results.

I don't think it's the card, because I exchanged the original one (Zotac) for another EVGA and I'm getting the same exact problems. The only thing I haven't tried is to change the system definition. It's currently Mac Pro 3,1. I've read others have sovled graphics problems by changing to iMac 12,2. Anyone have that experience with this card?

Any other advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Microdot,

I'm planning a very similar build. Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, i7-3770K, GTX 680 (since you had success with it, would probably choose a EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4096MB) to run OS X 10.8.3.

I consider the ability to drive two large displays in a non-mirrored mode essential (I use a lot of screen real estate). I see you have 2 ASUS 2560x1440 displays.

My plan would be:
Display 1: 2560x1600 DELL 3008WFP (currently being driven over Displayport from my 2012 MBA)
Display 2: Buy a 2560x1600 DELL U3014 or 2560x1440 DELL U2713H
… and to drive one over Displayport and the other over dual link DVI.

As such, I'm wondering:
1. What exact GTX 680 did you use?

eg.
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4096MB GDDR5, DVI, DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort, 4-way SLI Ready Graphics Card (04G-P4-3687-KR)
EVGA 04G-P4-3685-KR GeForce GTX680 FTW+LE 4GB DDR5 256bit PCIE3.0 Video Card Fan Cooler DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort

2. Sounds like your ASUS screens are attached via Displayport and DVI-D. Mirrored or different stuff displayed on each screen? Can you drive both displays over dual-link DVI simultaneously, or does it have to be Displayport and DVI-D?
3. What's your OS? Drivers you installed? (e.g. installed nvidia drivers) Any other software tweaks you required?
4. Did you ever try that U3011 over Displayport or DVI-D? Any issues? According to EVGA's website only dual-link DVI will drive 2560x1600.
5. Any tips on the above plan, or difficulties you had getting two screens to work (ideally with the solutions you used)? It's not essential for my setup, but did you ever get HDMI to drive a horizontal res of 2560?

Thanks,
DrFelix

PS. Overall plan is

OS X 10.8.3
Intel Core i7-3770K
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH (same as you)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Power supply: Corsair 650 Watt Modular
SSD: SanDisk SATA 6Gb/s 480GB SSD
Water cooling: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid Cpu Cooler h60
Wifi: TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

and of course graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4096MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back