Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte EP35-DS3R
CPU
Q6600
Graphics
8800gt
So years ago, a friend gave me a dead watercooled quad core 2.5 ghz, and the case had been living in my garage for far too long.

So my goal for this is to build a budget i7 Hackintosh, without taking a dremel to the G5 case. The idea of spending a lot of money on kits that require you to cut the hell out of a G5 case just didn't appeal to me. Also, I wanted to utilize this case I had sitting around, but without breaking the bank. Using an ITX size motherboard will help so I don't have to worry about room as much as I would with an mATX or full size ATX.

Here is the water damage on the original G5 PSU:
water_damage2.jpgwater_damage1.jpg

To avoid cuts to the rear, I am reusing the rear fan holder and installed 2-92mm Antec Tri-Cool fans that are adjustable with 3 fan speeds. Installed 2- 120mm case fans on the front using automotive 2-sided tape. I mounted a standard ATX power supply in the rear with industrial velcro in hopes that it will blow air out the rear of the case. I may fabricate a little duct to direct the air down and out:
rear_fans.jpgfront_fans.jpgcase_powersupply.jpg

For rear I/O, I bought a custom made board from a member of InsanelyMac, that adapts the rear audio, USB & ethernet holes to a standard motherboard:
rear_adaptor.jpgrear_io_board.jpg

For front I/O I am planning to make my own adaptor using an 18 pin header I bought on eBay. Still working on this. Hoping the pins will make it so I can avoid soldering.
header_cable.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Using the existing drive bays for a 240gb SSD and a 2tb SATA drive:
drive_bay.jpg

Also to improve access to ports, I am installing a USB 3 header and USB 2 header via the card slots:
rear_usb.jpg

For mounting my ITX motherboard (Gigabyte H87N-Wifi, 16gb RAM, i7 4790k processor with factory fan for now) I used arcade PCB feet and epoxied them in. Not planning on using a graphics card; I think I can probably live with the built-in i7 graphics. DVI cable will go through an empty slot.
41a8q4qxLFL._SX385_.jpgmobo.jpg

So that is where I am at right now. Left to do: hack the drive bay fan or replace it, wire up the front panel, and work out cable management. Waiting on some 120mm fan filters for the front fans. Also I plan on adding a couple of additional hard drives in the DVD bay, or maybe a drive tray towards the front of the case. Lots of room with the little ITX motherboard! Depending on temperatures inside the case, I may install a better CPU cooler - a Zalman CNPS-9900 Max that I am using in my current Q6600 build.

So that is where I am at, hoping to get this machine up and running soon!

My parts listing:

Powermac G5 quad core 2.5ghz water cooled: Free

Gigabyte H87A-WIFI ITX motherboard via eBay: $50
Intel i7 4790k 4ghz processor: $280
240gb OCZ SSD $50
2tb Seagate HD $70
16gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 2400 PC3 19200 RAM $67
2x Antec Tri Cool 92mm fans $14
Dynex 520w power supply $22
Rear panel adaptor board $40
Kingwin USB3 Header bracket cable: $7
USB2 Header Bracket Cable: $3
18 pin IDC Box Header Connecter: $4
6 pack of clear blue SATA cables: $12
2- 120mm fan dust filters: $7
2- 3 pin fan Y-Splitters $6
2pin female connector cables $5

Swapped the Apple drive bay fan for an 80mm Antec fan I had laying around. It was a 12v fan, I slowed it down using a resistor cable that had an come with an old Zalman cooler. Removed the blower fan; didn't seem necessary.

drive bay.jpg

Installed dust filters on my front 120mm fans:
fan dust filters.jpg

So it is almost ready to go! Still need to install the rear I/O board and wire up the front I/O cable...

wired up.jpg

Update:

Unfortunately the motherboard I bought on ebay for this project wouldn't boot; looks like I got ripped off. Oh well, bought a new GA-H97N-WIFI from B&H Photo for $117. It arrived, and works great.

Installed the rear I/O board, again using JB Weld and arcade PCB feet:
Rear IO small.jpg

Used UniBeast then MultiBeast to install Yosemite, and it generally works great. No issues with memory, audio, or networking.

Unfortunately, the rear I/O board doesn't work well. I get some pretty bad noise on the audio output, seems like I can hear USB signals. And the Ethernet port doesn't work at all... Ugh! Not a huge deal but I had hopes that this board would do what it was supposed to do. I will just have to pass cables through the unused holes... It is basically the worlds most expensive USB male to female adaptor...

Still need to wire up the front panel.

Hi there!
Can someone tell me the seller of the rear I/O ?
I need to buy one.

Thank you !

Too bad he's not building the rear I/O board any more.

Zammykoo's I/O board idea seems right, although maybe it can be done simpler -- more like a Corsair front-panel upgrade where the ports are surfaced mounted (no PCB etching required) on some fiber board and each port is cabled back to a mobo. header.

Need a way to mount the ports on some fiber board. Might be a great 3-D printing project!

best'

richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back