Radeon 6850 1Gb
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
First I've searched and none of the threads I found helped.

Using a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, have ML 10.8.3 running fine no issues.

I'm trying to migrate from a smaller SSD to a larger SSD.

1. Clone with CCC
2. Run Chimera stand alone immediately after clone, installing on new SSD, reboot.
3. Boot fails. Specifically I get this: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key, reboot.
4. Choose old SSD from boot menu which does boot Chimera. Choose new SSD from Chimera menu, boot to new SSD fine. Run MultiBeast, install only Chimera again, reboot.
5. Boot fails, same error as before.
6. Choose old SSD from boot menu which does boot Chimera. Choose new SSD from Chimera menu, boot to new SSD fine. Run Easy Beast, reboot.
7. Boot fails, same error as before.
8. Choose old SSD from boot menu which does boot Chimera. Choose new SSD from Chimera menu, boot to new SSD fine. Re-clone, re-run Chimera
9. Boot fails, same error as before.

I've reset BIOS, I've disabled all bootable items in BIOS, I've disconnected the old SSD, I've even disconnected the USB card reader.

Old SSD works fine. Obviously Chimera is not getting loaded onto the new SSD and I'm not sure why.

I'm at a loss. My next plan is to make another bootable USB key, install 10.8.3 that way, then once I know it's bootable clone the old drive onto the new SSD again. If anyone has a suggestion prior to that I wont be going that route until tomorrow when I have another USB key I can use.

First I've searched and none of the threads I found helped.

Using a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, have ML 10.8.3 running fine no issues.

I'm trying to migrate from a smaller SSD to a larger SSD.

1. Clone with CCC
2. Run Chimera stand alone immediately after clone, installing on new SSD, reboot.
3. Boot fails. Specifically I get this: Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key, reboot.
4. Choose old SSD from boot menu which does boot Chimera. Choose new SSD from Chimera menu, boot to new SSD fine. Run MultiBeast, install only Chimera again, reboot.
5. Boot fails, same error as before.
6. Choose old SSD from boot menu which does boot Chimera. Choose new SSD from Chimera menu, boot to new SSD fine. Run Easy Beast, reboot.
7. Boot fails, same error as before.
8. Choose old SSD from boot menu which does boot Chimera. Choose new SSD from Chimera menu, boot to new SSD fine. Re-clone, re-run Chimera
9. Boot fails, same error as before.

I've reset BIOS, I've disabled all bootable items in BIOS, I've disconnected the old SSD, I've even disconnected the USB card reader.

Old SSD works fine. Obviously Chimera is not getting loaded onto the new SSD and I'm not sure why.

I'm at a loss. My next plan is to make another bootable USB key, install 10.8.3 that way, then once I know it's bootable clone the old drive onto the new SSD again. If anyone has a suggestion prior to that I wont be going that route until tomorrow when I have another USB key I can use.

Have you tried making the partition active?

Have you tried making the partition active?

Not to sound ignorant but please explain how I would do this. I'm not sure I've ever done this before.

I was just getting ready to reply that I found that same page. So I followed that and now I have a different issue. It would appear that now the BIOS doesn't recognize either SSD as UEFI devices. Not sure what the heck is going on with that. May reset BIOS again. I think however that if I get that worked out it might work.

Well maybe it's worse. Using GE=no -v -x boot parameters I'm now hung at 'Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/mach_kernel] 8187856 bytes.

If I boot from the old SSD I am still able to choose the new SSD at the Chimera screen and it boots just fine. I'll rerun MultiBeast again and see what happens.

I was just getting ready to reply that I found that same page. So I followed that and now I have a different issue. It would appear that now the BIOS doesn't recognize either SSD as UEFI devices. Not sure what the heck is going on with that. May reset BIOS again. I think however that if I get that worked out it might work.

Well maybe it's worse. Using GE=no -v -x boot parameters I'm now hung at 'Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/mach_kernel] 8187856 bytes.

If I boot from the old SSD I am still able to choose the new SSD at the Chimera screen and it boots just fine. I'll rerun MultiBeast again and see what happens.

Kind of makes me question whether your clone is valid?
Have you tried to verify that the file structure is ok? (Disk Utility - Verify).
Also, you can clone partitions using Disk Utility (why people use 3rd party apps when it is built-in I don't understand...)

It has to be at least mostly valid, with the exception of Chimera not being copied which is expected when cloning, the drive functions fine and OS X works as it should. I can't believe that the clone is failed. Disk Utility also confirms that the disk is fine.

I use CCC because it works, certainly it was never designed to work on a Hack but otherwise it works every time without fail.

Something is obviously not correct in with Chimera on the new drive. I'm going to try with a USB Boot and install 10.8 that way then clone and see what happens.

Update.

After updating the BIOS to F14, re-imaging the drive again, and immediately installing Chimera via MultiBeast worked. Was able to restart and boot to the new SSD. After running MultiBeast and configuring the system it works just fine now and holy crap is the new SSD fast! Samsung 840 PRO 256Gb, 500/500 read/write on Blackmagic it's stupid fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back