1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@moshes

If macOS on your Dell Vostro does not provide any audio outputs from the built-in audio controller (Realtek 3820) then it means AppleALC does not support that controller.

Changing Layout IDs won’t solve this. We’ll need to determine the device ID of the audio controller and codec, then see if it is a close cousin of any supported audio controllers and codecs.

Yes. Do I determine the device ID by beginning the process you mentioned in the customization guide? Or can I get it from Hackintool or the registry explorer?

@moshes

If macOS on your Dell Vostro does not provide any audio outputs from the built-in audio controller (Realtek 3820) then it means AppleALC does not support that controller.

Changing Layout IDs won’t solve this. We’ll need to determine the device ID of the audio controller and codec, then see if it is a close cousin of any supported audio controllers and codecs.
Currently config shows HDAS. Do I need to patch to HDEF?

My i3-9100 is officially Coffee Lake, but seems to be Kaby Lake + in some ways.
Currently Hackintool reports 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (0xA2AF)
this is connected to my USB external sound device
This is from the PCIe table:
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDAS@1F,3
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)

Good news! I ran the Linux dump (attached). The device seems to be a Codec: Realtek ALC891.
Will try variations of that before continuing. But what about that HDAS/HDEF question?

Attachments

• codec_dump.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 8
More update. I see that Apple ALC automatically changed the HDAS -> HDEF
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF@1F,3

But simply using the ALC891 settings (11 or 13) failed. So it looks like one would need to construct a new ALC code.

More update. I see that Apple ALC automatically changed the HDAS -> HDEF
IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/HDEF@1F,3

But simply using the ALC891 settings (11 or 13) failed. So it looks like one would need to construct a new ALC code.
make sure to reset nvram on each try

shouldn't need to rename HDAS to HDEF

@moshes,

Two requests:
  1. Please download and run IORegistryExplorer (click here to download)
    • Then post the IOReg file (File -> Save As...)
    • This will provide a fair bit of necessary information about the audio system
  2. Post a screenshot of System Settings -> Sound -> Output such as this:
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 11.54.06 AM.png

Screenshot can be captured by pressing CMD-Shift-5.

@moshes,

Two requests:
  1. Please download and run IORegistryExplorer (click here to download)
    • Then post the IOReg file (File -> Save As...)
    • This will provide a fair bit of necessary information about the audio system
  2. Post a screenshot of System Settings -> Sound -> Output such as this:
View attachment 578557
Screenshot can be captured by pressing CMD-Shift-5.
Here you go! and thanks for your interest. I will be happy if I can simply get the line out/ speaker port (rear, green). The headphone port (front) would be a bonus. I don't really need the line in, and mic ports since I use USB for that.
1707945554543.jpeg

Attachments

• iMac ioReg.ioreg
    7.3 MB · Views: 47
@moshes,

Your (a) controller (device ID 0xa2f0) and (b) codec (0x10ec0867) are both supported by AppleALC with either Layout 11 or 13. If neither of these layouts is working, please post your config.plist with serial numbers removed.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 1.55.08 PM.png

Last edited:
Huh. I didn't expect that. Now I'm embarrassed that I have done something wrong. But here you go - and thanks again! Happy Valentine's day!

Attachments

• Config.plist
    30.7 KB · Views: 5
Back