Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming GT
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
GTX 970
Tonymacx86.com has been around for a while and no one has thought to change it. I guess this is just too obvious and unnecessary. But I am playing this very naively.

I only saw Stickies within the sections I would have categorized this topic. This is not exactly the right place to post this but it is here that I am finished and I am looking from here for the next stage.

I see threads for everything except assembling the hardware. There is a Sticky titled, "I'm New To Everything, Where Do I Start?" yet nowhere that I could find does it say step one is decide what your build will be, step two acquire the parts, step three assemble the parts before you get to the rest of the steps that are in the I'm New To Everything, Where Do I Start? thread, including the content of links within it.

I think there should at least be a statement referring you elsewhere for assembly guidance. I'd like to think that my hand is being held every step of the way even if I am being lead outside of tonymacx86.com. Then I would know I am doing the right thing.

So today to my surprise I received the final part earlier than expected and I will be assembling the hardware for my new hackintosh so I can begin the process of bringing this to life.

:arrow:

Giving advice in this area is too broad. There are too many different configurations for a PC build for anyone to give you a guide on how to do it;

Every case is different
Every case's front panel I/O panel is different
Every Power Supply is different
Every CPU cooler is different
Different methods for applying thermal paste
etc.

If I were you, I'd watch some general build guides from the following Youtube channels:

Build Guides:

JayzTwoCents:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Q8ksRI1Eo

Newegg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Linus Tech Tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roFb3TNePIg

Tek Syndicate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Js2A1qdB8

A Couple Tips:

NCIX Tech Tips - Tools For Building a PC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xTRdgWUxQ

Applying Thermal Paste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNgFNH7zhQ

I would watch those videos, if you have time, watch them all. They'll prepare you quite well before you dive in. It may help if you do a search on youtube for a build thats based on your motherboard and/or case. It should give you a preview of some things that you may encounter that you otherwise might not expect.

Funny though, because only a couple weeks ago, I built my first PC but had a friend help me out. Took about 2-3 hours to do it all from scratch as well as checking for post; meaning, put the computer together outside of your case and run a test of your components to see if they work. It's going to SUCK BALLS if you put everything together and then it doesnt turn on and you have to figure out why. Be sure to have some isopropyl alcohol (99% is best) to clear off the thermal paste from the heat sink and CPU after testing it outside of the box.

Also, seeing how you're getting into the PC building world, you'll probably want to follow Linus Sebastian, JayzTwoCents and Tek Syndicate about news, reviews, etc about PC parts in general. Linus is probably the best one of the three.

Good luck :)

Adding a Sticky of what you just posted would serve to fill the void.

The step should at least be mentioned.

My build shares many similarities to Spballer's. I completed as much as I could of the USB OS installer while waiting for parts and his instructions seemed to skip assembling the hardware as well.

I have built 3 Windows systems from scratch and upgraded hardware on Windows PC's and Macs but I have never done a hackintosh.

This is more critical perhaps with every potential problem encountered when building any system plus the added complication of it being a hack.

I plan to read and watch a lot of videos before taking action.

No matter what I always seem to end up doing something more than once because things don't go smoothly.

Thanks!

I have built 3 Windows systems from scratch
Thanks!
Then you will have no trouble building a PC-Mac. There is no difference in how the hardware goes together. Just follow the hardware manufacturer's instructions.

The real difference is setting the BIOS/UEFI correctly and installing the OS.

Then you will have no trouble building a PC-Mac. There is no difference in how the hardware goes together. Just follow the hardware manufacturer's instructions.

The real difference is setting the BIOS/UEFI correctly and installing the OS.
That is encouraging.

I am excited to get everything up and running.

Regarding the POST:

Is the pretest of parts outside the case the time when you permanently mount the CPU cooler? I have not seen it confirmed in videos but it seems like it would need to be or else you would have to make sure you have extra thermo paste and isopropyl alcohol on hand for removal and reinstallation. This added accessory is not stressed. It is just mentioned as an option if your cooler didn't come with paste.

I will probably treat it as the permanent mounting stage if I do not see a response in time.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

(It has been a long time since I built a PC. If I am not mistaken I believe the CPU cooler was just static blades premounted on the CPU the last time.)

Regarding the POST:

Is the pretest of parts outside the case the time when you permanently mount the CPU cooler? I have not seen it confirmed in videos but it seems like it would need to be or else you would have to make sure you have extra thermo paste and isopropyl alcohol on hand for removal and reinstallation. This added accessory is not stressed. It is just mentioned as an option if your cooler didn't come with paste.

I will probably treat it as the permanent mounting stage if I do not see a response in time.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

(It has been a long time since I built a PC. If I am not mistaken I believe the CPU cooler was just static blades premounted on the CPU the last time.)

CPU cooler should be mounted on the CPU before applying power to the board after CPU installation. Never a good idea to power the CPU without a cooler. Whether you "permanently" mount it before installing the board in the case is determined by the size and type of cooler - i.e. is it physically possible to move the board/CPU/cooler assembly into the case and install all of the screws to secure the board or do you need to remove the cooler until you get the board secured and then re-install it.

CPU cooler should be mounted on the CPU before applying power to the board after CPU installation. Never a good idea to power the CPU without a cooler. Whether you "permanently" mount it before installing the board in the case is determined by the size and type of cooler - i.e. is it physically possible to move the board/CPU/cooler assembly into the case and install all of the screws to secure the board or do you need to remove the cooler until you get the board secured and then re-install it.

Don't forget the thermal compound! LOL. I used the CPU stock cooler for POST test, then cleaned off the compound and started putting it all together in the case and then reapplied the compound for use with my Phanteks Cooler.

For the OP; here's a good video on what to do before installing your rig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxnUJQhFZs

Don't forget the thermal compound! LOL. I used the CPU stock cooler for POST test, then cleaned off the compound and started putting it all together in the case and then reapplied the compound for use with my Phanteks Cooler.

For the OP; here's a good video on what to do before installing your rig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxnUJQhFZs
Whether you need new thermal compound is determined, after securing the board in the case, by whether you are installing the cooler you removed (yes, clean off old paste and apply new) or a new cooler without paste already applied (yes, clean CPU surface and apply paste) or a cooler with paste already applied (new paste not needed, but since paste is on the cooler surface take care to keep fingers off and apply carefully to cleaned CPU surface, applying pressure evenly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back