Contribute
Register

Newbies final buying list (purchasing this weekend) could use a sign off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
OSX
CPU
2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I am ready for my hackintosh. Today the new iMac has been released and it is appleaing, But as a video editor and animator I feel that I need to beef up beyond the iMac. Although if anyone could tell me looking at this set up weather it looks like it will out perform the new iMac. Also if I could get any feedback on this set-up that'd be great. I had to downgrade the processor because I needed a motherboard that can support Thunderbolt, but I am open to suggestions if anyone knows of a better processor that would be compatible.

Motherboard:

Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UP5 Thunderbolt Motherboard

Graphics Card:
EVGA GF GTX 680 SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Processor:
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor
SSD: (Question: Is there any issue with having an SSD of this size?)
[h=1]SanDisk SDSSDX-480G-G25 480GB Extreme SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5in Internal Solid State Drive[/h]

Harddrive: (Question: Is it better to have two 1TB internal harddrives rather than one 2tb or does it not matter?)
Seagate Baracuda 2TB internal Harddrive

Ram:
Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 Vengeance 32GB 1600MHz CL DDR3 Memory Quad Kit

Case: (Question: What case should I go with? I want it to run a silent as a macpro I guess)

Fan: (This is what was recommended to me, thats why I have gone with it)
Corsair TX Series, 650 Watt, ATX, PS/2, Power Supply, UK Version (CMPSU-650TXUK)

Cooler: (also just the recommended model)
Corsair CWCH100 Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance 240mm Radiator All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler

1. SSD - there is nothing wrong with an SSD of that size just not really necessary. Many of us use our SSD as a boot loader and store information on a mechanical drive. For video editing you may want to go larger than the usual 120 gb SSD but 480 gb is a lot. That would save you quite a bit of money.
2. HDD - 2 GB hard drive is fine. No reason to split it up unless you want to. The one benefit to having it on 2 seperate hard drive is if one fails.
3. Case - there are quite a few good ones. Just read the reviews. The case is a lot about personal preference. When I first started I used the HAF X case. It was good for cooling and was pretty silent. Later I decided I wanted to put it inside an old G4 case and I bought a new motherboard and moved it. Obviously the G4 is not quiet, but for me it was more about the case. If I were to buy another regular case again without modding I would go with a corsair case. From everything I see I like the features like the fact of how easy the side panels come off.

Everything else looks good. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back