i7 - 3770
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys!

So I am brand new to the Hackintosh scene! I started thinking about a Hackintosh when I was googling info on the Mac Mini. Reason I was looking at the Mac Mini is simply that I was browsing craigslist for a Mac desktop I could use for editing my youtube videos. I have a 21.5" 2012 iMac at my office that I have done most of my editing on and I have a late 2011 13" MacBook Pro that I have tried to use to edit as well. The experience is sub par on both with the iMac having a better advantage for screen size.

So, I looked into the Mac Mini since its small and I can hook it up to a TV via HDMI so I can get a larger screen to work with. This TV would be at my desk in my office/man cave where I would also simply watch TV and play some occasional video games on my Playstation so it would be multipurpose.

But after some research it seems since the Mac Mini hasn't had an update since 2014, I won't see much of the performance I want out of it and still used prices hang around the $200-$350 range.

Then I discovered the hackintosh! Building a wildly more powerful machine for that same price. Though, price was still limiting me. As I was browsing the web absorbing info, I saw some YouTube videos of people taking windows computers from major manufacturers like Dell and HP and turning them into Hackintosh machines! And that to me makes so much sense! These computers don't have an overpriced resale market so you can often find decent hardware for less that what you would need to buy it all new!

So, my long winded post is now coming to an end! I have found someone selling some Dell Optiplex 9010 SFF with the i5 processor for a fair price at $145. Would this be a good platform for a Hackintosh computer? My limited knowledge leads me to believe so but I wanted to check with those who know more than me!

Thanks in advance!

From my research into the budget Hackintosh arena, the one that is best for beginners is the HP Elite 8300. Probably the best choice for you in your situation. Buy one with an i5-3470 CPU and add in a LP GTX 1050 graphics card and you should stay under 300 USD total cost. Adding more ram may be needed for video editing.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...orking-and-easily-affordable-customac.224812/
Thank you so much for the advice! I reached out to a friend that works for a company that recycles computers and he said he might have an HP with an i5 processor in it I could buy. He is going to get back to me with the model number so hopefully it will be the one you mentioned!

Question, could I still do the hackintosh install without the video card you recommended? Or do I need it to make this work?

Question, could I still do the hackintosh install without the video card you recommended? Or do I need it to make this work?
Only the HD4000 Intel graphics work not the HD2500. The i5-3470 has the latter.

Only the HD4000 Intel graphics work not the HD2500. The i5-3470 has the latter.

So I found a used HP Elitedesk 8300 for sale on Craigslist for $220. Specs are:

Small Form Factor
Intel i7 - 3770 3.4 Ghz
16 GB RAM
180 GB SSD - OS drive - very fast
1 TB HDD - Data drive
DVD Burner
4 - USB 2.0 Ports
4 - USB 3.0 Ports
WIFI - USB wifi adapter
VGA
Display port
20" LCD monitor included
Mouse and keyboard included

The i7 -3770 should have the HD4000 right?

Ok guys! So I found a guy selling a HP 8300 with an i7 locally I guess he get them cheap and throws some upgrades at them and then flips them. He upgraded it with 16GB of ram, a 250GB SSD and a 500GB! I told him I was going to use it for a Hackintosh build and for fun he went ahead and loaded it up with High Sierra! Even got iMessage working! I didn't even ask him to do that but did appreciate it!

Question for y'all, will this thing be able to push 4K resolution? I would like to be able to attach it to a 4K monitor or TV in the future. Is this possible with this setup and running the stock HD4000 graphics?

Question for y'all, will this thing be able to push 4K resolution? I would like to be able to attach it to a 4K monitor or TV in the future. Is this possible with this setup and running the stock HD4000 graphics?

HD4000 is not 4K capable, even via DP. A resolution of 2560 x 1600 is the best you can do with onboard HD4000.

The MSI GT 1030 is the only 1030 with DP output. That is one way (lowest cost) to get 4K @ 60Hz without using any adapters. It would have to be connected to a 4K monitor with DP input. An HDMI 2.0 output on a graphics card will usually only give you 4K @ 30Hz with a 4K TV. Some active DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters will work though if you will be using a 4K TV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back