CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thinking of making my first Hackintosh and just joined the forum after starting my research a couple weeks go. Looking forward to the adventure!!

One thing that came up was this article talking about Catalina being the last version to support kernal extensions. My limited knowledge makes me think that newer versions beyond Catalina may limit in some way the ability to build and maintain Hackintoshes. Aren't kext files a big part of building Hackintoshes?

Like I said I am a total new so what to make sure I am not getting into this just as the door to making and upgrading Hackintoshes is about to close.

macOS Catalina will be the last version of macOS to fully support kernel extensions.

I Think that article is a bit misleading ...

I don't think Apple will be dropping kexts completely .. they are critical to MacOS operation.

I think what Apple are really doing (and what that Article should have explained better) is that they are dropping certain legacy based security API methods that use kexts and moving those API methods into the kernel.

I'm pretty sure that kexts as we know them will be around for quite a while yet ...

Cheers
Jay

I Think that article is a bit misleading ...

I don't think Apple will be dropping kexts completely .. they are critical to MacOS operation.

I think what Apple are really doing (and what that Article should have explained better) is that they are dropping certain legacy based security API methods that use kexts and moving those API methods into the kernel.

I'm pretty sure that kexts as we know them will be around for quite a while yet ...

Cheers
Jay
Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back