CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
RX 580 Sapphire
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone! Newbie here asking for help. I successfully installed el capitan and had everything pretty much sorted out. This is my second hackintosh (I also have a hp 4530s - 1080p upgrade). As I was saying everything worked great except I had some freezes now and then. So I tried to find out what was causing them. I though it might be the graphics card cause I own a nvidia gainward gtx 460. While I was searching on the web I found this where this guy rimkashox suggests systems with my specs should use SMBios iMac15.1 and not Mac3.1 which is the one that was there by default. So I started to follow his instructions but after doing this (as he suggests) I stopped where he says to clear the cache by typing
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
After this I decided not to continue with those instructions so I reverted everything. So on the next reboot my monitor was not being recognized correctly. I have a 27 inch lg 4k 27MU67-B monitor but instead in the displays preferences there was only a generic monitor with 1280x1024 resolution. Also the system now lacks graphics acceleration. So after a lot of searching around on the web I found out that there is something wrong with my EDID. To make a (really) long story short now when I give in the terminal ioreg -l I can't find any IODisplayEDID value. I also tried this app called SwitchResX but it gave me UKNOWN MONITOR. I also removed the nvidia and tried with the integrated intel hd 4600 but again no luck. I 've tried a lot of guides like the one in insanelymac to fix edid but none worked. So...I think I am heading for a reinstall but I would like to know, can I fix my edid somehow? Where is this edid kept? I there a file anywhere that I can modify? When we put a custom resolution in the /System/Library/Displays/Overrirde we can get custom resolutions. But as the folder says this overrides something? Where is this something? Is this right or I am totally wrong?

Thanks in advance and sorry for this long text!!! :)

My specs:
i7 4790k
Gigabyte Z97X gaming 5
Corsair Dominator 4 Gb Ram
Gainward Geforce Gtx 460

[/COLOR]

try booting with nv_disable=1
then use multibeast to change your system definition to mac 3.1

I 've already tried nv_disable=1 and doesn't make any difference. I will try to use multibeast with iMac 15.1 to see if this changes everything. The thing is that everything works except the monitor not being recognized correctly...

A GTX 460 cannot drive a 4K monitor. It doesn't not have DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 2.0. Also I would advise against using iMac15,1 even though it is closer to your specs, it introduces other problems. Use iMac14,2 instead.

Yes I know that, but I use the 1920x1080 resolution. I am probably going to reinstall tonight because I feel I ve done a lot of experiments with this installation and I don't feel ok with this. But I would like to know where is this edid file that mac uses by default. Is there a way to get the edid from windows and make it modify the used edid (if there is any) in my mac/hack? Mostly for educational purposes since I am going to reinstall

Thanks everybody for the answers

Yes I know that, but I use the 1920x1080 resolution. I am probably going to reinstall tonight because I feel I ve done a lot of experiments with this installation and I don't feel ok with this. But I would like to know where is this edid file that mac uses by default. Is there a way to get the edid from windows and make it modify the used edid (if there is any) in my mac/hack? Mostly for educational purposes since I am going to reinstall

Thanks everybody for the answers

I believe the default EDID is provided by the display itself. OS X only does other things when there is a matching file in the /System/Library/Displays/Override. Some where on here there is a thread that explains how to make custom resolutions and even 1080P HiDPI resolutions on standard 1080P screens (it looks terrible) by creating your own file in the Override folder.

I believe the default EDID is provided by the display itself. OS X only does other things when there is a matching file in the /System/Library/Displays/Override. Some where on here there is a thread that explains how to make custom resolutions and even 1080P HiDPI resolutions on standard 1080P screens (it looks terrible) by creating your own file in the Override folder.

Well I reinstalled, everything is working perfect now. I even got my ntfs drive with write permissions. All good. I just can understand how this happened. If the display is providing the edid why couldn't it get the right monitor? Anyways....time to create a clone disk!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back