Contribute
Register

Newbie... help with Nvidia 980 issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a pain.

I just tried to use an alternate FakeSMB and now my system has issues. Does the black screen thing as if the AGDPfix patch hadn't been applied. Tried a temporary boot with Web Drivers off, and still doesn't work. I booted up with my USB drive and did an mv of my old FakeSMB and got rid of the experimental one I tried, set the permission to be correct. Still not able to launch.

What's odd is my graphics card is kicking in since the GPUs fans go blazing when that happens... but that doesn't do a lot of good since there's no screen.

Is there some utility to get things back in order? I'm loath to start from scratch again since I installed all my software last night.

What a pain.

I just tried to use an alternate FakeSMB and now my system has issues. Does the black screen thing as if the AGDPfix patch hadn't been applied. Tried a temporary boot with Web Drivers off, and still doesn't work. I booted up with my USB drive and did an mv of my old FakeSMB and got rid of the experimental one I tried, set the permission to be correct. Still not able to launch.

What's odd is my graphics card is kicking in since the GPUs fans go blazing when that happens... but that doesn't do a lot of good since there's no screen.

Is there some utility to get things back in order? I'm loath to start from scratch again since I installed all my software last night.

System back to normal again. Fan still at 100%.

Well, found the problem.

I went to add a second drive to the tower for installing Windows, and it turned out that a cable had slipped and was keeping one of the fans on the card from moving. The card must have gone int a failsafe mode.

I'll update the original post for posterity.

Well, found the problem.

I went to add a second drive to the tower for installing Windows, and it turned out that a cable had slipped and was keeping one of the fans on the card from moving. The card must have gone int a failsafe mode.

I'll update the original post for posterity.

Mmm will check the cables tomorrow, just in case, but in my case before booting macOS or when booting macOS with the default drivers the fans are stopped. They only go 100% when macOS is loading with Nvidia's drivers.

Given that you tried to boot without the Nvidia drivers, I'm guessing it may not be the same issue.

No, it's the same situation. When booting without Nvidia driver I had no fan issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back