CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
As I mentioned here, I discovered that my system was extremely slow and choppy because somewhere in the setup the BIOS started booting to my Samsung 840EVO SSD as "UEFI:" instead of "P1:".

I haven't built a computer in a few years and don't really know about UEFI except that the GPT partition used in my OS X setup is supposed to support that kind of booting.

Anyway, if I press F12 and choose the P1: Samsung 840EVO option the computer boots fine and most things work normally. If I boot using UEFI, everything is very laggy, the system thinks it has a 32 GHz processor, and it's basically unusable.

I went into the BIOS of my Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 and selected P1: as the first boot option. Didn't work. Then I chose it as the only option and disabled the other slots. Still booted into "slow" mode. Then I chose Legacy Only for the boot options. F12 shows only legacy options but an auto boot still is slow. I don't want to have to press F12 and manually select P1. There has to be something easy I'm missing. Please help.

Thanks!

Going from memory here I think if you plug the drive you want to boot into your SATA P0 port it should work. I also thnk I had to play around with the order of the drives in the BBS(?) boot order area of the BIOS.

Ok, thanks. Doesn't it seem odd that I can set every option (including the BBS which I did) to boot from P1: and it still chooses UEFI even when I disabled UEFI? In any event I'll pop open the computer and see if it likes P0 better.

Thank you again.

Go into your BIOS' peripherals and set your boot drive to P(x) rather than UEFI. Currently not infront of a computer to tell you the exact steps but you can easily navigate through it. I set my boot drive to P(x) and then disabled all my other boot options.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I moved the SSD to P0 and changed it to #1 in the BBS boot options, allowing me to select it as #1 in the regular boot options. The other options are disabled. I let it boot normally and got the slow-spinning wheel that means the overall boot will be slow and choppy. I pressed reset, hit F12 and selected P0 manually. Result: fast boot.

I'm not going crazy about this--yet--because I can reliably get a good boot manually. I'd just like to be able to do it without F12.

Any other ideas?

Go into your BIOS' peripherals and set your boot drive to P(x) rather than UEFI. Currently not infront of a computer to tell you the exact steps but you can easily navigate through it. I set my boot drive to P(x) and then disabled all my other boot options.

In my first post you can read I did exactly that. I set it to boot to P1: and disabled every other option. I also moved it to P0: and did the same thing.

It still reliably boots well with F12 but boots slowly if I let it boot automatically.

Thanks for trying to help; any other ideas?

Curious...if I change the Boot Option to UEFI it doesn't boot at all...tells me to restart and select the correct boot device
If I change it to P0 it boots slowly
If I manually choose P0 it boots fine

What's going on here?

[SOLVED]Newb ?: How to Force SATA boot vs UEFI

I'm not sure how the bootloader was contributing to this issue, but I used Chameleon Wizard to install a new version of the bootloader. On reboot, my BIOS and clock problems were both solved! I think I'm stable enough to write a guide now. I need to document my process so that I can do it again if needed!

I'm not sure how the bootloader was contributing to this issue, but I used Chameleon Wizard to install a new version of the bootloader. On reboot, my BIOS and clock problems were both solved! I think I'm stable enough to write a guide now. I need to document my process so that I can do it again if needed!

did you ever make that guide? I have the exact same issue here. What was the version of the bootloader you installed?

Tks

did you ever make that guide? I have the exact same issue here. What was the version of the bootloader you installed?

Tks

The guide is still on my to-do list, but it got bumped down by other priorities. When I installed Chameleon Wizard, I allowed it to install the most current bootloader available. I don't recall the version number and don't have access to the machine right now. I'm about to check out for 2 weeks. I'll try to write my guide in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back