Asus Z170M-PLUS
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello,

I'm new to the Hackintosh community but I've decided to bite the bullet based on watching a ton of YT videos and reading forum posts.

I'd appreciate someone's honest advise about the parts I've chosen for my first build. I've decided NOT to include a dedicated graphics card at this stage and just use the on board gpu to see how I get on (I know I'll probably need one soon enough for anything serious).

I'm also not 100% how to calculate the size of my PSU so any help on that would be appreciated.

Here are my parts so far:

EVGA 650 W G2 GOLD 80+ Modular PC Power Supply Unit
Offered by Amazon. £84.98

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4 Memory Kit - White
Offered by OnlineSavings. £123.97

Asus Z170M-PLUS Socket LGA1151 Motherboard
Offered by Amazon. £124.75

Corsair CW-9060025-WW Hydro Series H100i V2 240 mm Extreme Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler - Black
Offered by Amazon. £95.99

Intel Core i7 6700K Processor (4 GHz, 4 Core, 8 Threads, 8 MB cache, LGA1151 Socket Box)
Offered by Amazon. £296.94

Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV - mini tower - micro ATX
Offered by Eclipse Computers. £118

Fenvi 802.11AC Desktop Wifi Card 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC Bluetooth 4.0 OS X Yosemite 10.10+ PC/Hackintosh - Handoff and Continuity
Offered by HSJTechnology. £45.99

Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive - Black
Offered by EP SALES. £85.99

Last edited:
You can search "power supply calculator" on Google and find quite a few sites that will help you calculate how large of a power supply you will need. After calculating, it may be wise to add a little headroom for future accessories, i.e. video card.

You can search "power supply calculator" on Google and find quite a few sites that will help you calculate how large of a power supply you will need. After calculating, it may be wise to add a little headroom for future accessories, i.e. video card.

Here's a link to a good PSU calculator: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator. According to it, you need a minimum of 219W with the components you have listed (that includes the cooling fans that come with the case). If you add let's say an Nvidia GTX 1080 later on, that jumps to 402W (that's not a typo!). And of course as pastrychef said, you will need a little headroom for things like USB peripherals. So your 650W PSU may be a little overkill, but not as much as it might appear at first.

Here's a link to a good PSU calculator: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator. According to it, you need a minimum of 217W with the components you have listed (that includes the cooling fans that come with the case). If you add let's say an Nvidia GTX 1080 later on, that jumps to 400W (that's not a typo!).

So a 650 PSU should stand me in good stead for any future expansion, that's great thanks.

I've had to swap my case as I got confused about Micro and Mini ATX.

Changed the case to a Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV - MATX.

Anyone got any comments about the parts, particularly the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back