Contribute
Register

New Yosemite install random freeze -where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
UPDATE - New Yosemite install random freeze -where to start?

This is my first Hackintosh build. After many hours of frustration I was able to install Yosemite 10.10.3 using Unibeast, Multibeast and the Chimera boot-loader.

I am experiencing random freezes every 15-30 minutes. It often occurs when the system is under load, but not always. Sometimes I can get it to freeze and other times it will not by repeating the same steps. It can occur at just about anytime whether browsing or doing some other activity.

I am at a loss as to where to start as I have tried quite a few different things without success.

Here are some of my system specifics:

Intel I7-4790K over clocked to 4.6 gHz (system freezes regardless of CPU clock settings)
Gigabyte Z97M-D3H mother board
16 GB (2x8) G Skill Rip Jaws X 1866 memory -XMP profile 1 to get it up to 1866 from 1333 without profile
Onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Ethernet connection

I am running a USB keyboard and mouse. Gmyle Bluetooth dongle works OOB to run APPLE wireless keyboard and mouse.

Sound works. Sleep works after about 30 seconds (it seemed much shorter when I first installed OsX). Sound works on wake up. Monitor does not wake up, but that's another story and I believe a firmware defect in the Dell U2415 monitor .

Here is my boot plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EnableBacklight</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Choose_Your_OS(black)</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I am a professional photographer who built this system to replace my mid-2010 iMac. I am about to enter a very busy period and would like to get my photo and video editing up and running ASAP.

I can live with fixing some of the minor annoyances over time that I have discovered. A system that randomly freezes several times a day is a deal breaker. I do not want to turn this into an expensive Linux or Windows machine. I think I can get this running properly with the community's guidance.

Thank you.

New Yosemite install random freeze -where to start

Random freezes are very hard to pin down for the simple reason it could be either hardware or software related. With my first rig I had no problems what so ever, when I upgraded some components i.e. Mother Board, CPU,memory, Cooler etc I had freezes constantly. I checked settings in the BIOS making small changes made no difference.

The keyboard and mouse were a Microsoft branded wireless type, in sheer desperation and clutching at straws, I removed them and used a cheap run-of-the-mill wired mouse and keyboard - Results!!! no more freezing ever - so I bought and using to this day a more expensive wired set.

I am not suggesting for one minute that is your problem, I just got lucky - If you search through the Forum you'll find posts complaining of system freeze or lock ups across different platforms. A good way to minimised problems, is try to choose a Mac model as close as possible to a real Mac matching your build specs.

Thanks. I have been all over this forum for hours and hours searching all the random freeze threads trying to find something. It is only in sheer desperation that I finally gave in and posted here in the hopes of finding some new suggestions for diagnosing the issue.

I have experience with many Linux distros. This is so much more difficult.

I can say that I can generally get it to freeze If I stress the system by trying to open a bunch of applications all at once if this is a clue to someone.

The next time you have a freeze have a look in Utilities the 'Warning Console' -> 'All Messages' to see if there is any info on why it froze or where it froze - Just a thought.

P.S - Your memory modules are they on Gigabyte's recommended list for your motherboard - wrong or bad mem sticks can cause random freezing also.

I have tried that and nothing seems to stand out. both Chrome and Safari arec onstantly throwing messages. The system freezes and then I can see the boot sequence. Nothing regarding an error or kernel panic appears in the log.

I just tried and got the system to freeze by trying to open 11 applications at once. Log shows nothing from what I can tell.

I'm unsure as to which profile best represents my hardware. It does appear that 3,1 is pretty far off though.

The general consensus regarding memory is to use what is recommended by the Motherboard Manufacturer as a mis match can cause the problem you're having. Any chance your supplier doing an exchange maybe at a reduced rate for recommended ones - worth a try.

Try a Mac model iMac 14.2 with your specs - Iv'e read some where here the new 15,1 model is not recommended as its not playing nice for some although its among the models in MultiBeast. I'm using it without any problems and your specs are higher than mine.

just one idea...

i´ve had also random freezes on my system...

all analysis done without success...

but than... i´ve added a SD Card to my SD-Card USB 3 Reader... (which mounts, and works like a harm)

since then no Freezes...

i´ve didn´t find a solution... but i think on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back