Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI
CPU
Intel i3-6100 LGA-1151
Graphics
onboard Intel
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all, This is my 1st dive into a MAC System. My current parts are being used,running a Win7 Pro and I just was looking to see if what I have will work as a "Start up" Mac.
Case ( generic M-ATX)
Mother board--MSI-B85M-E45 Socket 1150
CPU--- Intel Celeron G1840@ 2.80 Ghz
GPU -Intel Onboard.
HDD---Intel ssd 530 Series @240 GB
Ram--- DDR3 @ 8 GB
I'm assuming you all start with "Snow Leopard" and upgrade from there ? Good place to acquire software?
will driver disc that came with MoBo for graphics,Internet,sound work for Mac OSX ?
I've "Home built" many Win Systems over the years,but I'm not a super Techy Person. I put the parts and pieces together and they work, However the more research I do with OSX It is obviously a different animal. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hello all, This is my 1st dive into a MAC System. My current parts are being used,running a Win7 Pro and I just was looking to see if what I have will work as a "Start up" Mac.
Case ( generic Micro ATX)
Mother board--MSI-B85M-E45 Socket 1150
CPU--- Intel Celeron G1840@ 2.80 Ghz
GPU -Intel Onboard.
HDD---Intel ssd 530 Series @240 GB
Ram--- DDR3 @ 8 GB
I'm assuming you all start with "Snow Leopard" and upgrade from there ? Good place to acquire software?
will driver disc that came with MoBo for graphics,Internet,sound work for Mac OSX ?
I've "Home built" many Win Systems over the years,but I'm not a super Techy Person. I put the parts and pieces together and they work, However the more research I do with OSX It is obviously a different animal. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Your Celeron processor is not supported in macOS; you need a Core i3 or better.

macOS is downloaded using the Apple App Store, so you need to have access to a "real" Mac or another Hackintosh to be able to download it and create a Unibeast installer (on a USB thumb drive).

Your motherboard's driver disk will not have drivers for macOS; instead we have Multibeast that you run post-installation to install drivers for hardware (such as ethernet and audio) not natively supported in macOS.

Thank You So Much. Looks like I gotta go shopping.

Ok Gang, I'm looking at a i3-3220 Socket 1155 with a msi B75MA-P45 motherboard, LGA 1155/Socket H2 Will this work for my 1st attempt at a Hackintosh ?

Ok Gang, I'm looking at a i3-3220 Socket 1155 with a msi B75MA-P45 motherboard, LGA 1155/Socket H2 Will this work for my 1st attempt at a Hackintosh ?

Hello, Lugnut1 -- I, too, am new to the site... And the world of Hackintosh. If you are interested in a bare bones system, might I suggest checking out Tonymacx86's pre-compiled selection of parts. Here is the direct link https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/april/2017#CustoMac_Mini

Plus there are other builds as well, and they all come with dedicated links to the exact Amazon and Newegg product page for easy purchase.
Just a helpful summary of my intense research of the process for a fellow traveler...
1. Learn the compatible hardware
2. Acquire a bootable copy of macOS (which is free from the Mac App Store - if you have access to a Mac)
You can and probably should go straight to macOS Sierra - requirements are at least the same as a Mac Mini (2010)
3. From this site (and approved partners) get the post-installation utilities like iBoot, UniBeast, Clover
An official Mac (unlike a Windows Machine) has a standard set of hardware that macOS already knows about and has specific drivers for it. When building a Hackintosh, those drivers won't work because they don't match the official lineup. This is where the Post-Installation utilities come into play.

Hardware -- check
Operating System -- check
Utilities that supply Kexts and work with the UEFI to get the OS to recognize the hardware -- check

Hope that helps. And GOOD LUCK!! :)

Hello, Lugnut1 -- I, too, am new to the site... And the world of Hackintosh. If you are interested in a bare bones system, might I suggest checking out Tonymacx86's pre-compiled selection of parts. Here is the direct link https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/april/2017#CustoMac_Mini

Plus there are other builds as well, and they all come with dedicated links to the exact Amazon and Newegg product page for easy purchase.
Just a helpful summary of my intense research of the process for a fellow traveler...
1. Learn the compatible hardware
2. Acquire a bootable copy of macOS (which is free from the Mac App Store - if you have access to a Mac)
You can and probably should go straight to macOS Sierra - requirements are at least the same as a Mac Mini (2010)
3. From this site (and approved partners) get the post-installation utilities like iBoot, UniBeast, Clover
An official Mac (unlike a Windows Machine) has a standard set of hardware that macOS already knows about and has specific drivers for it. When building a Hackintosh, those drivers won't work because they don't match the official lineup. This is where the Post-Installation utilities come into play.

Hardware -- check
Operating System -- check
Utilities that supply Kexts and work with the UEFI to get the OS to recognize the hardware -- check

Hope that helps. And GOOD LUCK!! :)

Just a clarification on the utilities available here... The only ones you will likely need are UniBeast, MultiBeast, Clover Configurator, and *maybe* KextBeast and the standalone Clover installer. The others are for special uses that most people won't encounter.

Here's a brief description of what each of the utils I mentioned does:

• UniBeast - use to create a bootable USB flash drive that you can use to install macOS. You of course need access to a "real" Mac (or hackintosh) to run it. You first download the macOS installer from the Apple App Store, then run UniBeast.
  • MultiBeast - used in the post-installation phase (after you've booted from your UniBeast installer and installed macOS). MultiBeast installs the Clover bootloader, any necessary kexts (device drivers) which you choose to suit your hardware, and creates a basic Clover configuration file to suit the options you choose.
  • Clover Configurator - used to fine-tune your Clover configuration, usually after you've done the basic configuration with MultiBeast.
  • KextBeast - used to install any necessary kexts that are not included with MultiBeast.
  • Clover installer (standalone) - used to update the Clover bootloader after the initial version that's installed with MultiBeast.

Just a clarification on the utilities available here... The only ones you will likely need are UniBeast, MultiBeast, Clover Configurator, and *maybe* KextBeast and the standalone Clover installer. The others are for special uses that most people won't encounter.

Here's a brief description of what each of the utils I mentioned does:

• UniBeast - use to create a bootable USB flash drive that you can use to install macOS. You of course need access to a "real" Mac (or hackintosh) to run it. You first download the macOS installer from the Apple App Store, then run UniBeast.
  • MultiBeast - used in the post-installation phase (after you've booted from your UniBeast installer and installed macOS). MultiBeast installs the Clover bootloader, any necessary kexts (device drivers) which you choose to suit your hardware, and creates a basic Clover configuration file to suit the options you choose.
  • Clover Configurator - used to fine-tune your Clover configuration, usually after you've done the basic configuration with MultiBeast.
  • KextBeast - used to install any necessary kexts that are not included with MultiBeast.
  • Clover installer (standalone) - used to update the Clover bootloader after the initial version that's installed with MultiBeast.
I purchased the USED Mobo with the i3-3220 LGA 1156 socket. The Mobo is a MSI B75MA-p45. it's installed and I put in Win7 as I need a "Dual bOOT" SYSTEM. MAC OSX 10.6.3 RETAIL Version started to install but got hung up. I started looking for a cause and I think it's somewhere with the Mobo settings as I can't find a way to even see or change the Sata settings. A lot of the posts on the forum are from Intel,Gigabite etc Mobo's. I guess this old buzzard ( ME) needs step by step instructions on how I can accomplish this. If I need to wipe the ssd HDD so be it. So if someone out there wouldn't mind showing me a Step by step way to get the mobo changed,and a step by step guide on what to install where and when, I'd be forever in your debt. Lugnut1

This is a Quote from the Installation Guide...................To start from scratch, booting the 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail DVD directly, check out iBoot + MultiBeast. YOU WILL NEED
  • A computer running an Intel Processor
  • A blank CD
  • A Mac OS X Snow Leopard Retail DVD
  • To leave any fear of your computer at the door.
  • Patience and humility- it may not work out perfectly the first time- but with enough tenacity and grit, you'll reach the promised land. It's easy to get frustrated, but don't give up! There are a community of users with similar hardware in the tonymacx86 Forum to provide support if you get stuck.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
  • Use only 1 graphics card in the 1st PCIe slot with 1 monitor plugged in.
  • Remove any hard drives besides the blank drive being used for OS X.
  • Remove any USB peripherals besides keyboard and mouse.
  • Remove any PCI cards besides graphics- they may not be Mac compatible.
  • It's best to use an empty hard drive- you will have to partition and format the drive.
  • Always back up any of your important data.
STEP 1: BIOS SETTINGS
You will need to set your BIOS to ACHI mode and your Boot Priority to boot from CD-ROM first. This is the most important step, and one many people overlook. Make sure your bios settings match these. It's not difficult- the only thing I did on my Gigabyte board besides setting Boot Priority to CD/DVD first was set Optimized Defaults, change SATA to AHCI mode, and set HPET to 64-bit mode.

My Mobo screen doesn't look like this, Hence why I asked for help. I think my mistake was having a HDD with Win 7 on it.

UniBeast - use to create a bootable USB flash drive that you can use to install macOS. You of course need access to a "real" Mac (or hackintosh) to run it. You first download the macOS installer from the Apple App Store, then run UniBeast.

Thank you very much for the clarification. Much appreciation. One clarification though that I have seen in many places that say "you need access to a real Mac"... I need some help there. I recently bought a used Macbook online. The package came in and I discovered it to be a MacBook (Early 2008) running Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion. I went to the App Store and the only thing available was macOS Sierra. (Now I already downloaded a copy of macOS Sierra 10.12.4 on a 32Gb USB 3.0 Drive when I previously owned a Mac Mini (Late 2004) that itself was running macOS Sierra.) However when I tried to download Sierra from the MacBook, Apple denied me saying that my MacBook (that maxs out with Lion) couldn't handle the newer software and therefore would not permit the download. So it seems that a person can't use just any "real" Mac but a Mac that can run macOS Sierra. Based on my experience, someone couldn't download any other version but Sierra from the App Store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back