Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Build/Buying Advice

I'm new to Hackintosh and I have some questions and concerns and I'm hoping some of you can help and perhaps point me in the right direction.

One of my concerns is the hardware and durability. I am looking for a machine that can run Adobe Premiere smoothly and dual boot into OS X (being my primary OS) and windows.

Here are the parts:
Intel Core i7-4790K
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid
EVGA GeForce GTX 770
Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower
XFX 550W ATX12V
TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1​

Is this enough power to render video and maybe the occasional gaming? Is Gigabyte the better mobo? Video card?

I also had some questions in the sense how reliable/durable is OS X on a hackintosh? is there tons of upkeep with updating drivers? Will this build work with Yosemite?

Thank you in advance for your help! Look forward to your replies :)

When you say render the occasional video do you mean home videos or are you planning to go into the business?

Gigabyte, makes great motherboards. I can't see any reason why you would need another board. The only thing I would change is get a Thunderbolt motherboard. That way you won't need to upgrade to this down the road.

Gaming on a GTX770???? Well, what do you consider acceptable? 1080, 1440, 60+ FPS? This is a loaded question as everyone has a level of performance that they consider to except able or not.

Is Hackintosh reliable? Of course. Now, how much tweecking do you plan to do? Will you always be messing with the machine? Once, it is built will you just be working with it and update only as needed? Why else would people be using these kinds of machines exclusively?

So, I know I didn't really answer your questions but that depends on the person. I will say I use a 13' Macbook Pro with an i5 and 16GB of RAM. All media is stored offline(on external drives). The machine does all I need. This includes editing 1080P video, 4K(proxy) time lapse, editing Sony ARW(RAW) photo files, etc... It does slow down from time to time but nothing I can't handle. If it gets to slow then reboot fixes this.

I don't use the tower too much because I like using the Thunderbolt monitor and how it integrates.

Hope this is helpful and that machine should be a WORKHORSE for several years to come.

I don't know much about PC hardware when it comes to building a PC so I thought the GTX 770 would be sufficient.

I'm still new to video editing so the kind of rendering I'll be doing will be for work, it's your basic 720/1080p 30FPS footage but I will be getting more into Premiere as my career develops.

In reference to gaming, I want my rig to hold its own so please feel free to provide me with other video cards that might be better but priority will be video rendering and photoshop.

I did purchase a 2.5GHz i7 15" macbook pro 16gb Ram at hefty price which is why I'm considering building my own rig and returning the macbook.

Again, I appreciate all the help and advice!

I don't believe I will be mobile but with the extra cash, I'll probably buy a cheaper macbook to have some portability.

In reference to a monitor, I do have one but plan on upgrading to something better.

I should I also mention that at work I use a Mac Pro (previous generation) at work.

so you recommend to change the mobo to something that supports thunderbolt? And better video card?

Yes, preparing for the future with Thunderbolt would be a great idea. Not all but some Producers only give media on Thunderbolt drives. Not, having Thunderbolt has cost a buddy of mine some work.

If your used to having an 8 or 12 Core Mac Pro at your job then having a Z97 may not be enough. Modern day i7s are very fast but if your used to a very responsive system going to something that isn't responsive may get under your skin. I have worked with i5s and i7s. The i7s renders faster. Responsiveness though, shhhhhh I really can't say yes or no.

GPU, if your using CC or CS6 AE then get two GPUs if you can with 4GB of RAM or more. If not then one GTX770 should hold up fine for now. In fact a GTX760 with 4GB of RAM should be more then enough.

Thank you for the insight!

I will continue to research and hopefully start ordering parts soon.

Edit: I should be able to run Yosemite with this build, correct?

Thank you for the insight!

I will continue to research and hopefully start ordering parts soon.

Edit: I should be able to run Yosemite with this build, correct?

Should be able to of course. How long the set-up will take I don't know. Just an FYI, it took a few tries to get 10.10 running on an old GA-EP45-UD3P build. But, it runs amazing now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back