1. Android
Hello, im new to Hackintosh.

Here is the system i want to install mountain lion on:
- Lenovo y410p
- Core i7 4700mq @ 2.4ghz (Haswell)
- 8GB ram
- Intel PRO wireless card
- 1tb HHD formatted as GPT with windows 8 preinstalled
- 24gb SSD used for caching by windows (i dont plan on formatting this, since i need the windows performance)
- Intel 4600 HD graphics
- Nvidia Gefore GT 750m graphics
- Optimus works on Windows

I went into the Windows partition manager and set up 200 gigs of free space for ML
I prepared my mountain lion bootable media using the guide.
Then i went and disabled secure boot and put the system to legacy boot
I booted the usb with no options and i made it to the install screen, without any errors.
I also dont know which GPU is being used by Mac os, but my goal is to have optimus working on the system.

Now what?

I want to install ML without deleing Windows 8 that came with the laptop since the laptop didnt come with win8 install media.

Im too afraid of like destroying the bootloader and losing windows :(

What do i do?

Hello, im new to Hackintosh.

Here is the system i want to install mountain lion on:
- Lenovo y410p
- Core i7 4700mq @ 2.4ghz (Haswell)
- 8GB ram
- Intel PRO wireless card
- 1tb HHD formatted as GPT with windows 8 preinstalled
- 24gb SSD used for caching by windows (i dont plan on formatting this, since i need the windows performance)
- Intel 4600 HD graphics
- Nvidia Gefore GT 750m graphics
- Optimus works on Windows

I went into the Windows partition manager and set up 200 gigs of free space for ML
I prepared my mountain lion bootable media using the guide.
Then i went and disabled secure boot and put the system to legacy boot
I booted the usb with no options and i made it to the install screen, without any errors.
I also dont know which GPU is being used by Mac os, but my goal is to have optimus working on the system.

Now what?

I want to install ML without deleing Windows 8 that came with the laptop since the laptop didnt come with win8 install media.

Im too afraid of like destroying the bootloader and losing windows :(

What do i do?

Optimus graphics switching will not work. And ML doesn't currently support Haswell... You'll need to wait until it does.

Best way to preserve Windows is to replace the HDD and install OS X to that drive, placing the Windows drive on a shelf... To setup a dual-boot to a single drive generally involves re-installing Windows.

Hmmm, but you say it doesnt support haswell, yet i can boot to the install screen without problems? odd.

And bummer for windows :/

I thought chimera supported booting windows or something.

Hmmm, but you say it doesnt support haswell, yet i can boot to the install screen without problems? odd.

My understanding is Haswell is coming in future OS X versions. Right now requires custom build of kernel.

And bummer for windows :/

I thought chimera supported booting windows or something.

Problem is OS X wants to be installed to GPT partition. And for Chimera to boot Windows it must be a non-UEFI install of Windows, which requires MBR partitioning. Chimera cannot boot UEFI install of Windows. Windows will install to MBR only non-UEFI and to GPT only UEFI. This usually means re-installing Windows to GPT/MBR hybrid.

Since your computer is relatively new, chances are it is a UEFI install of Windows on GPT... which Chimera cannot boot.

Normally this wouldnt be a problem but my laptop provides zero method of windows reinstallation aside from visiting the green monster, something that i dont wish to do.

Oh well, think i have an old windows 7 license running around somewhere.

Thanks for the help, looks like ill just wait till Mavericks for haswell support.

On a side note, is it possible to install dual boot linux on an uefi system preinstalled with windows?

Normally this wouldnt be a problem but my laptop provides zero method of windows reinstallation aside from visiting the green monster, something that i dont wish to do.

Oh well, think i have an old windows 7 license running around somewhere.

I've found that most of the time, you can install Windows fresh (using official ISO from digitalriver) and use OEM provided product ID, usually found on a sticker at the bottom of the laptop, or in the battery compartment.

Thanks for the help, looks like ill just wait till Mavericks for haswell support.

It may come before then...

On a side note, is it possible to install dual boot linux on an uefi system preinstalled with windows?

I believe grub2 can boot UEFI install of Windows, so I think the answer is probably 'yes'. I don't own any systems that use UEFI, so I cannot say for sure.

I have OS X, Win8 and Kubuntu (linux) all booting UEFI. I have GRUB installed from the linux installation but upon the menu it does not recognise Win8, so I'm not sure if GRUB can boot Win8 UEFI. You could always install Clover which can boot Windows and Linux UEFI.

What u could do,

1 get a usb stick say 16gig now the laptop u have should have a recovery program on it witch will let u make a boot able recovery usb stick, it will back up your install windows to it.

2 once this is done u could try mac on its own when its supported or if the laptop has a space for a second hard drive u could just install mac on that remembering to temporarily removing the windows drive. so on boot up it should be f8 or f12 or one of the f keys that will let u select what drive u want to boot at the time. i like that kind of set up so if one crashes i can install it and not worry about the duel boot loaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back