Contribute
Register

New System Build for Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a noob to this but after researching for a few weeks many people have had success using a GA-EX58-UD3R LGA1366.

You may need to drop the memory down and patch to 10.6.2 before you put the rest back in as the install I have read doesn't like a lot of memory until it is patched.

The 9800GT should be fine, not sure on CPU's at the minute though, I'm pretty sure they can all run by being patched but not vanilla stylee.

The intel Xeon should run the Vanilla kernel, although to be honest with the 1366 socket you might as well stick with an i7 920, rather than the Xeon. Also, I'm not sure if it's possible to get socket 771 one to work, so I would stick with the GA-X58 board.

tonymacx86 said:
Just a quick comment before you pull the trigger on that build- the i5 650 will have to run the patched kernel until Apple releases a dual-core i series Mac. Also, with 10.6.3, you'd have to wait to update until someone patches the kernel- drag. :thumbdown:

The processors for 1156 that will run the Vanilla kernel are the Core i5 750 and Core i7 860. I think the Core i7 870 as well, but that's not in your particular price range.

I'd consider the i5 750- it's what I have, and there's no guarantee that Apple will support your cpu if you do the i5 650. Just a word of warning. ;)

Since the Xeon X3440 is based on the i7-860, does that mean it will run the Vanilla kernel oob as well?

No experience with the Xeons, but I'm pretty sure they do support the Vanilla kernel.

I was all for getting the P55M-UD2 when I saw the P55M-UD4 for £20 more, the only main difference I can see is that the UD4 uses the 889a codec which I think works oob in SL, is there any other changes that should make my bump up to the UD4?

aph1982 said:
I was all for getting the P55M-UD2 when I saw the P55M-UD4 for £20 more, the only main difference I can see is that the UD4 uses the 889a codec which I think works oob in SL, is there any other changes that should make my bump up to the UD4?

At this point- you're probably better getting the UD4- because of the 889a if you're going mATX. ;)

Guys, I got the GA-P55M-UD2 too and it has nice overclock possibilities. I'm not into overclocking so I don't know what better boards have, but in this one you can change base clock, voltages, etc...

Slight change of plan on my build as I have come into hands with a E8400 so my first build will be on the P45 chipset using Cartri's modded bios that you can read up on here:

http://cartri.net/blog/

The problem I am having is I cannot find a board in the UK that has the Realtek 889a audio on it, does anyone know where I can get one from, model numbers are below.

EP45-DS3R
EP45C-DS3R
EP45T-DS3R
EP45-UD3P
EP45T-UD3P
EP45-DS3P
EP45-DS4
EP45-DS4P
EP45-UD3
EP45-UD3R
EP45C-UD3R
EP45T-UD3R
EP45-DS3
EP45C-DS3
EP45T-DS3
EP45-DS5
EP45-EXTREME
EP45T-USB3P
EP45-UD3P

It doesn't really matter which it is, just as long as it has this codec, the only one I can find for sale is the EP45-UD3LR which has the 888 codec on it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back