Contribute
Register

(NEW) (SUCCESS) Dingleberry's Content Creator Build | GA-X79S-UP5 X79/C606 | i7-3930k | 32gb | GTX67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add in smbios.plist file this string to allow system to recognize your cpu:

<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1281</string>

Reboot and it will show you the correct cpu type :headbang:

Thank you nightflyer! But according to my system information I have now a Xeon Processor...but i have a i7 3930k ...

Any idea? another number set as string, maybe?

Remember that the 2nd PCI slot is only X8, so i would advise you place the GTX780 in the first (PCIe x16) slot.

Then boot with the GTX780 only, remove the GT210, and use GraphicsEnabler=Yes. If it works, then i think your good to go.

G

Hey Gaart!

yeah i was testing all kinds of variations when it comes to the pci slot setup...thats why my 780 was in slot 2. Booting with the GTX 780 only results in a black screen :( no matter if i have GE set to yes or no so wierd...
Maybe its somehow BIOS related... :confused:
What are your bios settings? Wanna post them for me? :D

Hey Gaart!

yeah i was testing all kinds of variations when it comes to the pci slot setup...thats why my 780 was in slot 2. Booting with the GTX 780 only results in a black screen :( no matter if i have GE set to yes or no so wierd...
Maybe its somehow BIOS related... :confused:
What are your bios settings? Wanna post them for me? :D

Hi Simcules,

I'd love to help you out with this one, Unfortunately my lack of a GTX780 prevents me to.

The other alternative you could try, is reading up on the Official Nvidia Driver for OS X, and set that up and see what happens.

I am almost sure we have forum discussions on that.

I can post my updated BIOS settings, should be up hopefully by tonight. Rebuilding my System since the 10.8.5 update rendered it useless.

Which variant of the GTX780 is it?

Thank you nightflyer! But according to my system information I have now a Xeon Processor...but i have a i7 3930k ...

To my knowledge that is the string for a Intel core i3/i5/i7 processor, I am not wise with the strings, so I am not sure hey.

Thought: only the Mac Pro has more than 4 cores, to my knowledge, but then its a Xeon processor, this may be the reason for your CPU having a different name.

G

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble getting my new hack to boot properly.

I followed this build guide to the letter. The only differences in my build are the graphics card: I'm using the EVGA GeForce GTX650Ti (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZB0I3W/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i05?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
I'm using the H80i cooler
and my RAM is 1600Mhz: (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E0ZKLQ/ref=oh_details_o06_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I'm on 10.8.4

If I use the boot flag: -v GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 cpus=1
It will boot and everything seems fine.

If I don't use that boot flag, it never boots, or at least I never see it boot, the monitor just stays black.

Any ideas? Is it graphics?

Also, upon shutting down or restarting, I get some weird command line stuff happening before it actually shuts down.

Thanks
Eric
Hi,

Try adding "USBBusFix=Yes" flag at the end.

G

It's ok...OSX will never show you i7 3960x but recognize all his cores as a XEON. I have ah i7 3960x and it shows me a XEON too.
If you make a search string here in the forum you will see that all users builds with i7 extreme processor have XEON shown in the infos using that string

You need to add some of the bootflags to the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. There is folder in the root drive - to get to it you can use Command+Shift+C. Go to your Hard drive and then to the Extra folder.
You will find the org.chameleon.Boot.plist there, edit it with the Text Editor. You will find a section called boot flags
add the following lines:
npci=0x3000
If you installed Chameleon or Chimera and the VoodooTSCSYNC.kext you will very likely not need the additional boot flags.

I have to tell you that on my system, when I used the npci=0x3000, I had to use the npci=0x2000 and it used to hang intermittently owith myh GTX 660TI SC 3 GB. I was getting an "applesmbuspci failed to get acpi" erroro and my network cards were not being recognized.

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I started from the top again, and I got it booting fine and running stable.

I've ran into a couple issues. I can't find the USB driver that was suggested in the OP. That link doesn't work, and there are a ton of options for that. I don't have those ports on the back working (properly at least).

Also, is there a way to bypass the chimera splash screen so I don't have to select it every time I want to boot? On my old SL hack I used iBoot and it has a little progress bar that automatically goes down and boots into the drive as normal. This isn't a huge deal, just curious how that works.

Another thing is that it will sleep, which I didn't think would work, but when I wake it up, I lose USB, so I have to unplug my keyboard and plug it back in.

Other than that, she is humming along. I haven't installed any of my software yet, but with just OSX installed and OC'd to 4.2ghz, she scored a 19611 geekbench!!! And is as cool as the other side of the pillow!!!

thanks for the help!

...is there a way to bypass the chimera splash screen so I don't have to select it every time I want to boot?...
MultiBeast has this option as described on page 8 in the MultiBeast Features document which comes with MultiBeast. Run MultiBeast just selecting:
Customization > Boot Options > Instant Menu​
or, using TextEdit, replace:

<Key>Timeout</Key>
<string>n</string>​
with
<Key>Instant Menu</Key>
<string>Yes</string>​

Just a quick update.
I have now gone back to DSDT free. I am running OS X 10.8.5 with a mild over clock 4.2 on turboboost and the computer has been stable.
I have upgraded to the drivers in the latest multi beast 5.5.0
- New FakeSMC and plugins - I was ocasionally getting a kernel panic on startup which seems to be resolved.
- New intel network card
- New genericUSBxhci kext - I think this one is important for X79 systems - a lot of people were having difficulties with the prior version
- New ALC 898 kext which works perfectly.

I am also attaching a copy of my org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Choose_Your_OS</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

You should remove the verbose mode. I am still troubleshooting for stability. One interesting thing is that a lot of people recommend not to use kernel cache for X79 boards but I have no problems with it.
have not tried sleep since I hardly ever need it and the computer boots fairly fast for an intel 520 SSD.
Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back