Graphics
1080TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys and gals,

I'm currently in the process of putting together a new hackintosh build.
But there are so many viable options out there right now.

I work with video and graphics on my mac, and i dual boot to windows for gaming.

I currently have an old old i7 2600K,
16GB DDR3 RAM,
2 x 256GB SSD (Os's) + 2 x 2 TB (Storage)
MSI Lightning 980TI 6GB

all this on an Gigabyte GA-z68XP-UD3

So it is due for an upgrade.
It needs to be High Sierra and as future proof as possible, i do favor intel and nvidia over amd, so that is preferable.

So, i'm gonna ask for your advice :)

My budget is in the $3800 - $4000 range.

So what would your build look like in this pricerange ?

Cheers

EDIT:
I am working on putting together my build, and will post it here for feedback when its done.

Ok,

So i have put together this list of the most important stuffs:

Motherboard:
Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 9

CPU:
Intel Core i7-7700K

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

RAM:
2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 32GB (64GB in total, 4 x 16)

Storage:
2 x Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 (for OS’s)

Other than this it includes some other SSDs for general storage, fans etc..

My only concern is the M.2's, but i guess we will find out the support for those pretty soon, with the release of High-Sierra.

So i know this build will play just about anything in windows, so thats ok.
But since i use my hack for work, video and graphics, 3d etc, im wondering if it will perform ok for this ?

Anyone working with video / graphics / 3d that has a similar setup ?

These are exclusively high-end parts, you can't go really better, so why shouldn't it work. I'd even say it is kind of an overkill...64GB of RAM :D

Hey,

thanks for your reply :)

well, never enough POWER you know ;) and working with video / graphics / 3d etc, i love my ram :p
that said...

i am considering holding off a little longer, waiting for the coffee-lake reveal from intel, or maybe doing a x299 /i9 build,
reading up on the support for x299 / i9 now, so might go that route.

Hey,

thanks for your reply :)

well, never enough POWER you know ;) and working with video / graphics / 3d etc, i love my ram :p
that said...
i am considering holding off a little longer, waiting for the coffee-lake reveal from intel, or maybe doing a x299 /i9 build,
reading up on the support for x299 / i9 now, so might go that route.

It looks like the Coffee Lake I7-8700k will have 6 cores and outperform the 4 core 7700K by a wide margin. The rumor mills say those will be available in October. The install of HS on a Z370 / 8700K system will be many times easier than on the X299 chipset once Apple ships a 370 chipset iMac. Until then you could probably fake the CPU ID. Playing the waiting game though is difficult when you need to get work done now.

Last edited:
It looks like the Coffee Lake I7-8700k will have 6 cores and outperform the 4 core 7700K by a wide margin. They rumor mills say those will be available in October. The install of HS on a Z370 / 8700K system will be many times easier than on the X299 chipset once Apple ships a 370 chipset iMac. Until then you could probably fake the CPU ID. Playing the waiting game though is difficult when you need to get work done now.

yeah, i've heard that too... so im kinda on the fence here, either go for a x299, or wait for Z370 / 8700K... and leaning more and more towards the latter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back