Graphics
ATI
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I couldn't think of a better place to put this, but I knew it would be good news to share. New retail Snow Leopard disks now have 10.6.3 on them, which should simplify installation for hackers with i5/i7 systems.

obis said:
I couldn't think of a better place to put this, but I knew it would be good news to share. New retail Snow Leopard disks now have 10.6.3 on them, which should simplify installation for hackers with i5/i7 systems.

I've not seen any confirmation of this- pictures or links handy? Noticed that Wikipedia has it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard

Also- this thread on Apple Discussions- someone says that it says 10.6.3 on their receipt after purchasing the DVD, but couldn't find anything else:
http://store.apple.com/us/question/answ ... F2HXC9D77A

This would be massively cool if true for all of us- no need for patched kernel anymore for retail installations. ;)

Wait, isn't this a bad thing? If we don't have solutions for all the 10.6.3 problems. Then some people can't install...?

That is correct, the new retail discs are 10.6.3. There is a green sticker on the box "NEW Version 10.6.3" as well as the disc itself says "Install DVD Version 10.6.3". The install worked great, thanks again Tony. Right off the bat, my networking and audio, and because I can see the screen im assuming the graphics work as well (this is without the multibeast). Is there any need to instal it at this point?

EDIT: Snow Leopard wont boot without iboot unless multibeast is installed.

I now have a working hackintosh!!! and its the first computer Ive ever built. Props to everyone on here for their help, especially Tony.

EDIT round 2. Turns out that installing multibeast messed with my sound.

bman said:
That is correct, the new retail discs are 10.6.3. There is a green sticker on the box "NEW Version 10.6.3" as well as the disc itself says "Install DVD Version 10.6.3". The install worked great, thanks again Tony. Right off the bat, my networking and audio, and because I can see the screen im assuming the graphics work as well (this is without the multibeast). Is there any need to instal it at this point?

EDIT: Snow Leopard wont boot without iboot unless multibeast is installed.

I now have a working hackintosh!!! and its the first computer Ive ever built. Props to everyone on here for their help, especially Tony.

EDIT round 2. Turns out that installing multibeast messed with my sound.

Nice- I'm psyched! Gotta pick up a new Retail DVD- checking tonight at Best Buy.

P55-UD5 with no A right? For your sound, did you use the GigaBeast option for UD5? In that case sound should work right off the bat. Your ALC 889a is supported by default in 10.6.3.

If you have a P55A-UD5, its ALC 889 needs 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in order to work in 10.6.3. You can just run MultiBeast again and check that + Disk Utilities. ;)

I bought Snow Leopard off Amazon last week (£22 delivered) and it has a green sticker saying 'New version 10.6.3' also says it by the barcode

Tony, its the P55 UD5 with the 889a codec, which is why it worked before using multibeast (because the 889a is supported natively by 10.6.3). For my multibeast instillation I check off only the P55 UD5 gigabeast and the disk ultility. Before using multibeast I had audio and networking, it just wouldnt boot without the iboot disk. Is it possible to install just a component of the multibeast that will allow it to boot from the hard drive and not alter any of the audio or networking?

Update:

Thanks for your help, my audio now works. How? Im not sure. What I did... download the 10.6.3 combo update from the blog as well as hit software update from apple. However I didnt install either of them. I cant possibly see how simply having a .dmg file on my desktop would be enough, but if it aint broken... dont fix it.

Alright I guess it's time to get the new disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back