Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys, just a quick background, I currently have Yosemite installed on a 64GB SSD, and I have my Users volume on a separate 1TB HDD which is set to auto mount using fstab

I'm almost out of space on my 64GB SSD, so I bought a new 500GB SSD. Originally I was planning on just cloning the 64GB on to the 500GB SSD and call it a day. But seeing that El Capitan just released, I'm looking into if it would be worth while to do a clean install now on the new SSD. My only problem then is "migrating" the 1TB Users volume over.

So how would I go about doing this? Can I clean install El Capitan on the new drive, create the same users I had from before, then switch the volume to point to the existing 1TB drive so I could retain my files/settings? Would that work or would I run into permissions issues and stuff?

Or would I be better of cloning my current Yosemite drive to the new 500GB drive, then doing an update install?

One option I'm sure I do not want to do is to set everything up from scratch again. I have a ton of files on the 1TB Users drive plus a bunch of application settings and automated scripts and stuff that I would hate to redo. So I would like to reuse the 1TB Users drive as is if possible.

Thanks

Hi Guys, just a quick background, I currently have Yosemite installed on a 64GB SSD, and I have my Users volume on a separate 1TB HDD which is set to auto mount using fstab

I'm almost out of space on my 64GB SSD, so I bought a new 500GB SSD. Originally I was planning on just cloning the 64GB on to the 500GB SSD and call it a day. But seeing that El Capitan just released, I'm looking into if it would be worth while to do a clean install now on the new SSD. My only problem then is "migrating" the 1TB Users volume over.

So how would I go about doing this? Can I clean install El Capitan on the new drive, create the same users I had from before, then switch the volume to point to the existing 1TB drive so I could retain my files/settings? Would that work or would I run into permissions issues and stuff?

Or would I be better of cloning my current Yosemite drive to the new 500GB drive, then doing an update install?

One option I'm sure I do not want to do is to set everything up from scratch again. I have a ton of files on the 1TB Users drive plus a bunch of application settings and automated scripts and stuff that I would hate to redo. So I would like to reuse the 1TB Users drive as is if possible.

Thanks

Really don't see the gain of starting from scratch. I would clone then upgrade to EC if I were you.

Really don't see the gain of starting from scratch. I would clone then upgrade to EC if I were you.

awesome, that would be my preferred option as well since it seems to be the easiest to do. I was just worried that I might have some outdated stuff like kexts or pref files left over when I update to el capitan. My last fresh install was from Lion, then I update installed to Mavericks then Yosemite. So I don't know if I still have some Lion/Maverick files in there or something. But if that normally doesn't cause any issues anyways, I would jsut go with the update like you said.

thanks

awesome, that would be my preferred option as well since it seems to be the easiest to do. I was just worried that I might have some outdated stuff like kexts or pref files left over when I update to el capitan. My last fresh install was from Lion, then I update installed to Mavericks then Yosemite. So I don't know if I still have some Lion/Maverick files in there or something. But if that normally doesn't cause any issues anyways, I would jsut go with the update like you said.

thanks

i did it via first moving to clover then do EC update from there. the reason being i didn't want to deal with clover AND EC at the same time if something breaks.

try move to clover first and get everything running OK, then system update to EC. yes that does require you clean up S/L/E and move kext to EFI etc, but it's not really that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back