i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
The older 7020/9020 Dell Optiplex line is great if you have a small build budget and need support for older versions of macOS from Mavericks through Big Sur. They can run Monterey but support won't last much longer than the current supported macOS version. Looking forward you'll need newer hardware to keep up with the latest versions of Xcode that Apple releases the next few years.

If you want a newer Dell Optiplex with a 10th Gen Core I5 and UHD630 graphics this Optiplex 3080 looks like a very good deal. $733 at Amazon.com. Brand new, not refurbished. A 3 year warranty is included.

You could expect performance similar to this with the base model M1 Mac mini. So why buy this instead ? The cost is close to the M1 mini that retails for $699 and comes with 8GBs of ram and a 256GB NVMe. In reality, you'd have to upgrade the NVMe drive and ram in the Mac mini if you will be keeping it longer term and doing more than just surfing the internet and other basic tasks. If you have 8GBs of unified memory shared for everything, you end up using your small 256GB NVMe drive as a page file and possibly wear it out faster. It's not meant to be replaceable and would cost too much to replace it. Your M1 mini is mostly useless after an NVMe drive failure.

What if the NVMe in your Dell fails ? You buy a new one and install it yourself in a few minutes. No issues there.

A name brand 512 GB M.2 NVMe drive costs about $55. Some lesser known brands like SP sell for $45.

What does Apple charge for that 512GB upgrade ? $200 ! Way too much. If you ever want more than that minimal 8GBs of ram in your mini you'd have to buy a whole new mini and tack on $200 for the ram. With the 3080 you simply buy an 8GB DIMM of DDR4 ram at going market prices. Another 8GB stick of ram would only cost $30. Apple's "tax" is about 6.7x the cost of buying your own ram that you install yourself in a minute or two.
So you're paying Apple an extra $400 for 16GBs of ram and a 512GB NVMe boot drive. The Dell upgrades cost $85.
You are saving $300 from the start that you can put towards a nice 4K monitor if you need one. If you have the extra money to spend on the M1 mini upgrades it's certainly a great value for the performance. If your budget is smaller, this 10th gen Dell does make sense if you want a macOS Monterey and a Windows 10/11 dual boot computer.

How about running Windows 10/11 with an M1 SoC ? Not as simple to run that on your Mac mini. You can run it in a VM but it must be the ARM version. You have to pay for a Windows license, then pay for software such as Paralells to run it. With the Dell you run it on bare metal and you've already got a Pro license.

The 2020 iMac 20,1 used the same Intel Comet Lake i5 in the 27" base model. So that's a perfect match there. The i5-10505 is an i5-10500 with a small 100Mhz over clock. That's it. Everything else is identical.

Sure, Intel UHD630 graphics are weak compared to what the M1 mini offers but you get to add an AMD LP card to the Optiplex to get much better graphics performance. Prices for AMD cards should come back down to earth soon. The latter part of 2022. Use the supported UHD630 graphics until then. You can run dual 4K monitors off of the onboard graphics.

That 20,1 SMBIOS should be supported till the end of all Intel support, whenever that is. Maybe in 4 years ? Figure that you can keep running the latest supported version two years after Apple drops Intel support.

From Everymac.com...

The iMac "Core i5" 27-Inch Aluminum (Retina 5K, 2020/Comet Lake) features a 14-nm "Comet Lake" 3.1 GHz Intel "Core i5" processor (I5-10500) with six independent processor "cores" on a single chip, a 12 MB shared level 3 cache.

1644452825055.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 16.jpg
    Screen Shot 16.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Also consider the 7080 SFF if you need 8 cores and 16 threads. The i7-10700. You could use this for audio and video production. Upgrade the ram to at least 32 GB and install a supported AMD workstation card.

How hackable are these?
10th gen Intel chipsets and UHD630 are 100% hackable. Apple still sells Macs like the 27" 2020 iMac which are 10th gen.

Have a look at the attached Dell manual with all the specs. Any of the Intel 10th gen i3 CPUs with 4 cores 8 threads can be used in place of the i5 CPU. Celerons and Pentiums will not work.

Attachments

• optiplex-3080-desktop_service-manual7_en-us.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Vadim at Maxtech YT channel, predicts that the new 2022 M1 Pro Mac mini will start at $1299. It will have 16GB of ram but to upgrade that to 32GB will add 400 dollars more to the cost at Apple's current ram pricing. To go up to 64GB will probably require the M1 Max version which will cost well over two grand USD. If you are a Pro that makes money from video, photo or audio work then it may make sense. If you are an average non-Pro Mac user then the 10th gen Dell PCs make much more sense. Upgrading the ram and NVMe yourself saves a LOT of money. Looks like Apple won't let us do that on any Mac they sell (except possibly the Mac Pro) ever again once all Macs have Apple Silicon inside. :thumbdown

Last edited:

Dell 3080 MT Refurbished by Dell for $563 with 16GB of ram and a 6 Core i5 10th gen.
(This has already sold out. Deal was just too good.) 4/8/22

This is a really good deal if you want the latest supported Intel hardware at a low price. Intel support is not going to last forever. With these you can use the 2020 iMac SMBIOS and get the longest support for any current hackintosh. It is of course Windows 11 Pro compatible so figure on 10 years of support for that.
Screen Shot 1.jpg

The official Dell.com refurbs are usually unused. A corporation ordered a large lot of these, found out they didn't need all of them and returned those they don't want. So they're basically new in box.

3 Years ProSupport with Next Business Day Onsite Service + a 3 year hardware warranty. Wow !
Here's the full specs from Dell. https://www.dell.com/support/manual...p/optiplex3080_mt_specs/ports-and-connectors?

1649161169265.png

Last edited:
I'm a fan of these Dell systems as well as HP equivalents. The only problem is that, for those who want to upgrade to a dGPU, choices can be limited due to power supplies that are too weak and/or lack of single slot, low profile cards for SFF desktops.

Also, the stock heatsink/fans can get loud when the system is under load. Replacing the heatsink/fans can be challenging because they mount to the case itself and you'd have to Dremel out the posts to use 3rd party coolers.

Last edited:
The only problem is that, for those who want to upgrade to a dGPU, choices can be limited due to power supplies that are too weak and/or lack of single slot, low profile cards for SFF desktops.
This is a full height MT model so not limited to LP cards. It is true that potential buyers should not expect to run a power hungry 6800 XT in one of these. I'd guess that a 6600XT might be possible. Haven't bought one yet to test anything.

This is a full height MT model so not limited to LP cards. It is true that potential buyers should not expect to run a power hungry 6800 XT in one of these. I'd guess that a 6600XT might be possible. Haven't bought one yet to test anything.

Even if you try to run a very power efficient card like a 6600 XT, I don't think they have 6/8 pin power connectors for video cards. At least they didn't exist in older Optiplex and ProDesk models.

I don't think they have 6/8 pin power connectors for video cards. At least they didn't exist in older Optiplex and ProDesk models.
One of these adapters have worked with my RX 570 and supplied enough power. It may work with a 6600 XT as well as they are even more efficient. An RX 6600 non XT should be able to run in these.

"The new RX 6600 has a reduced total board power consumption of just 132 watts so you can easily fit it into a system with a 450-watt power supply."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back