Contribute
Register

New Nvidia Graphics Cards That Should Be Working Are Not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
vienna01 said:
The only strangeness. [1]I checked Mac Pro 5.1 in Multibeast but System Profiler says 3.1
[2] After first Multibeast use, the Internal Disk Drives showed as orange, I fixed that by checking Multibeast's IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector. I've never had to fix orange internal disks before with any build.
[1] Do it again and add this into your boot.plist

• <key>SMBIOS</key>
    <string>/Extra/smbios.plist
    </string>

Multibeast

Add this to your boot.plist

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

Recall - this started because I had gotten the "different machine" error when I tried a full restore using TimeMachine. I thought it might have had something to do with the MacPro value reported in System Profilier. I mentioned the issue because I was surprised that System Profiler was reporting MacPro 3.1 when I wanted to call my build MacPro 5.1. I don't think I checked the wrong box in Multibeast multiple times.

I just looked at my current smbios.plist. It does say "3.1".
Is Multibeast configuring or modifying smbios.plist?
I've never looked at smbios.plist after installing from the Retail 10.6.3 CD.
I do know System Profiler reported "imac 1.1.1.1" just after the Retail install.[Didn't use Multibeast until after 10.6.6 combo upgrade].

I think adding the string "EXTRA/smbios.plist" won't change "MacPro 3.1" in system profiler, to "MacPro 5.1", if smbios.plist still says "3.1"? [You couldn't have known that because it wasn't in my post].

The other minor issue was:
I was surprised that I had to fix the Orange Color of Internal Drives [orange supposed to be indicating EXTERNAL drives]. I have never had to fix that before using several different versions of Multibeast beginning late November. Never had to check the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjectorbefore. I wonder what changed in Multibeast that could have affected that?

Re: Multibeast

vienna01 said:
Add this to your boot.plist

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

Recall - this started because I had gotten the "different machine" error when I tried a full restore using TimeMachine. I thought it might have had something to do with the MacPro value reported in System Profilier. I mentioned the issue because I was surprised that System Profiler was reporting MacPro 3.1 when I wanted to call my build MacPro 5.1. I don't think I checked the wrong box in Multibeast multiple times.

I just looked at my current smbios.plist. It does say "3.1".
Is Multibeast configuring or modifying smbios.plist?
I've never looked at smbios.plist after installing from the Retail 10.6.3 CD.
I do know System Profiler reported "imac 1.1.1.1" just after the Retail install.[Didn't use Multibeast until after 10.6.6 combo upgrade].

I think adding the string "EXTRA/smbios.plist" won't change "MacPro 3.1" in system profiler, to "MacPro 5.1", if smbios.plist still says "3.1"? [You couldn't have known that because it wasn't in my post].

The other minor issue was:
I was surprised that I had to fix the Orange Color of Internal Drives [orange supposed to be indicating EXTERNAL drives]. I have never had to fix that before using several different versions of Multibeast beginning late November. Never had to check the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjectorbefore. I wonder what changed in Multibeast that could have affected that?
You lose hotswap support when installing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector you don't really need it. All you need is JMicron36xATA and JMicron36xSATA. If something wasn't in your post or not doesn't matter, I know you've ticked User DSDT in multibeast because you complained about the orange HD icons :cool: When you ticked Easybeast, JMicron36xATA and JMicron36xSATA would be installed by default which fixes the orange icons while User DSDT doesn't. If you just would read the description in the lower pane when ticked some thing in Multibeast you would know. By selecting User DSDT you have to install Audio, Network and SATA controller kexts by yourself.

When you tick MacPro5.1 in Multibeast, just an smbios.plist with MacPro5.1 defs. would be copied into the /Extra folder. For some reasons chameleon sometimes dont find it. By adding the string into your com.apple.Boot.plist which i gave to you above, you force chameleon to load just that smbios.plist in /Extra. And always tick System Utilities. It'll rebuild the kextcaches and fix the permissions on your HD

Hi Everyone,

as a Hackintosh-Beginner i am not really familiar with what to do (hopefully there is something what can be done) to make my Geforce 8400 GS working.
I have a Gigabyte EG41MF-S2H Mainboard with Intel G41/ICH 7 Chipset. The processor is a Intel Q8200. The installation went smoothly with the SnowOSXInstall Universal v3.6, but there was no way to enable the built-in video chip of the mainboard.
So i bought a "PALIT GF8400GS 1024M DDR3 64B", because i read that the 8400GS could be smoothly installed.
After finding this thread, the doubts have significantly arisen to get the card working with the full resolution. I don't want it to be stuck with 1280x800.

Although i am just a beginner, i tried many things. I tried the Nvidia update (with the mac pro system definition) from tony as well as a kext installation (what got me blinking blue screens) with the actual kexts from kexts.com (i don't remember the exactly designation)...nothing worked.

It would be very much appreciated if somebody has any hints how i could enable the card!!!

Thanks in advance

You lose hotswap support when installing IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector you don't really need it. All you need is JMicron36xATA and JMicron36xSATA. If something wasn't in your post or not doesn't matter, I know you've ticked User DSDT in multibeast because you complained about the orange HD icons :cool: When you ticked Easybeast, JMicron36xATA and JMicron36xSATA would be installed by default which fixes the orange icons while User DSDT doesn't. If you just would read the description in the lower pane when ticked some thing in Multibeast you would know. By selecting User DSDT you have to install Audio, Network and SATA controller kexts by yourself.

When you tick MacPro5.1 in Multibeast, just an smbios.plist with MacPro5.1 defs. would be copied into the /Extra folder. For some reasons chameleon sometimes dont find it. By adding the string into your com.apple.Boot.plist which i gave to you above, you force chameleon to load just that smbios.plist in /Extra. And always tick System Utilities. It'll rebuild the kextcaches and fix the permissions on your HD

That was a great reply!!
Yes, I used User DSDT. I had thought that the current Multibeast automatically took care of the 'orange internal' disk problem w/o checking additional kexts for that. Guess it didn't [at least for me -this time]. As I read the changes for Multibeast with every new version, I see that Multibeast automatically takes care of an increasing number of kexts. Although I read the help file, I don't always read the 'lower pane'. "Got to" start reading them.

Your explanation of what adding the string to the Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file actually did was perfect. It told me why something can fix a problem. The more of the why I learn the more I will understand how to fix problems that pop up.

Thanks for your help. "I'm good now".

vienna01 said:
Your explanation of what adding the string to the Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file actually did was perfect. It told me why something can fix a problem. The more of the why I learn the more I will understand how to fix problems that pop up.

Thanks for your help. "I'm good now".
I never stop learning too ;) You're welcome

sonic said:
Hi Everyone,

as a Hackintosh-Beginner i am not really familiar with what to do (hopefully there is something what can be done) to make my Geforce 8400 GS working.
I have a Gigabyte EG41MF-S2H Mainboard with Intel G41/ICH 7 Chipset. The processor is a Intel Q8200. The installation went smoothly with the SnowOSXInstall Universal v3.6, but there was no way to enable the built-in video chip of the mainboard.
So i bought a "PALIT GF8400GS 1024M DDR3 64B", because i read that the 8400GS could be smoothly installed.
After finding this thread, the doubts have significantly arisen to get the card working with the full resolution. I don't want it to be stuck with 1280x800.

Although i am just a beginner, i tried many things. I tried the Nvidia update (with the mac pro system definition) from tony as well as a kext installation (what got me blinking blue screens) with the actual kexts from kexts.com (i don't remember the exactly designation)...nothing worked.

It would be very much appreciated if somebody has any hints how i could enable the card!!!

Thanks in advance
If you've read this thread carefully you know the answer...eMatoS wrote it on page #2

JOEBAHOOVY6 said:
Stork, at what point do you install Tony's NVidia Driver? Are you just doing it after MultiBeast? I am following his directions to a T and it still is giving me fits. I to have the GraphicsEnabler=yes but it seems to not work. Any help here would be appreciated.
If I understand your question, I don't use Tony's NVIDIAEnabler.kext in MultiBeast or the NVIDIA drivers which I believe are for the 400 series. I used Tony's MultiBeast configuration for my MB & 9800GT:
Post Your MultiBeast Configuration Screenshots

Sorry I didn't answer your question in a timely manner. I forgot to subscribe to this thread. :eek:

Edit: I edited this post because I misunderstood that Joe's Quadro 4000 graphics card is actually the NVIDIA high end graphics card that Apple uses in it's top end Mac Pro. I was assuming that it was a low end card since the thread originally started out discussing the older NVIDIA 8400 series graphics card.

Just wanted to THANK the hard working crew for help with my build. EVERYTHING including my PNY NVIDIA Quadro 4000 and my 24 Gigs of RAM, Digital audio and Networking is working PERFECTLY. With a little tweaking in MultiBeast and some general discoveries on other sites, the Crew here has gone beyond expectations. THANK YOU TonyMac and the rest of the incredibly intelligent Human Beings for your support and knowledge! The world IS a better place because of YOU!!!

Mr. Bahoovy VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back