Ge Force GTX460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

I'm at a loss as to what to do, and any help is very much appreciated.

I upgraded my system from:

Asus P5QL Pro with atheros ethernet (worked OOB)

to

Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 with Realtek RTL8111E.

I installed the Lnx2Mac ethernet kext and also ran multibeast to reinstall the ps/2 adapter as it had broken in the upgrade and I also placed my dsdt with correct version (F11) as DSDT.aml into /Extra.

Everything works except for the ethernet. System Profiler is still showing ethernet as my old atheros device using atheros21.kext within I080211Family.kext.

What can I do do get the machine to recognise the new ethernet card? - short of installing a fresh copy of lion on the machine.

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

EDIT: I've currently got Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed using Tony Mac's method and my retail disk.

Re: New Motherboard, Old ethernet kext still active

Boot with -f to force rebuild of caches. If that doesn't get rid of the Atheros, open preferencs -> Networking and delete all connections. repair permissions and reboot.

Yeah I've tried both of those already with no success.

first booted with -f

when that didn't work, I deleted preferences.plist and networkinterfaces.plist and one other network related plist - (sorry I'm at work atm and not sure exactly what they are called) from /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/, reparied permissions and restarted with -f. Again no success.

I'm still searching for a solution, at work all day so will be doing more reading later in the day. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok so the only solution I could find was to format the drive and start again - installing a copy of Lion with 10.7.2 update.

There are some benefits to upgrading to lion, the first of which is that my ethernet card was recognised (not a lion specific thing), and it seems that performance is improved over snow leopard.

One disadvantage to Lion however is that it appears that PS/2 recognition only partially works. With the PS/2 kexts installed, I have to pull out and plug the PS/2 keyboard back in on every reboot for it to be recognised. The way I've gotten around this is to use the USB connecter on the keyboard. Not a deal breaker, but it's irking my OCD a bit :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back