Contribute
Register

New ML Dictation App... Sending all my text to Apple? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Well, I tread lightly here, because we all love Apple and sometimes love makes us blind...

But does anyone besides myself find it a little weird that the Dictation feature in ML is not all that verbose, and sends the data directly to the NSA... oops No, I mean Apple, sorry. Well, why should I be concerned, if I have nothing to hide right?

If that logic were sound, people who openly claim to be married, have children as proof of having sex, shouldn't get PO'ed at strangers hanging outside their bedroom windows watching them have sex... right? I mean its natural, everybody does it, and they have nothing to hide, eh?

I dunno, this seems kind-of un-Apple to me... why does that data have to leave the users possession?

But at least I can tweet about my concerns right from my desktop, order Hanna Montana gear, and get Brittany tickets all with full iSoftApp integration... Seems to me that this upgrade is all iOS stuff making a three thousand dollar desktop in to a six hundred dollar iPhone?

I want to believe, I am a mac-lover since before many were born... but I was hoping for a little bit more 'Beef'...
64-bit screaming power stuff, manly, productive stuff.. But its only been a few hours, and I haven't looked all that hard at the details. So, I know someone will set me straight.

(This is tongue-in-cheek fellows, please don't flame me, but share your opinions and maybe it will change mine...)

PS. A shout-out to the creators of this site, and the Admin's and the people who help with expertise... your invaluable! You have my respect and thanks... I know that your working hard to make the best of this upgrade and bring us the 2012 build list. You Rule.

Win
-

I can see where you're coming from. I'll give it a shot, but I may end up seeing if I can find a way to put Snow Leopard on my Ivy Bridge. I don't even participate in data collection, err, "social networking" services.

The data has to go to Apple because the software that understands your voice and converts to text is on Apple's servers, it is a service only available over the internet which is why your hack must have internet. In order to understand "John Appleseed" and pull up the email address when dictating an email, the voice software needs access to your contacts in your address book. Not a big deal. No one has to use dictation, they are being very transparent about the whole thing, and they aren't getting your information without your permission like Google does.

and they aren't getting your information without your permission like Google does.

Google lets you use thier services on the pretense that any information that you enter into these services can be scaned to harvest information. It clearly stated in any of the agreements that you have to accept before using thier services. That said they don't however let any human inside google see any of the inputed information but only the server that is used to harvest the general information. I would assume that Apple is doing the same thing at this point.

It may seem a lil' bit offtopic, but my Vocie Dictation doesn't work properly - the icon just pops out and WHAM it's gone without even letting me to say something. What do you think could be a problem in this issue?

Seems to me that this upgrade is all iOS stuff making a three thousand dollar desktop in to a six hundred dollar iPhone?

Picking out this comment, I have to agree. I am growing tired of all of this social integration within operating systems [step forward Win8 as well] - I dislike it, a lot. I am also annoyed that Apples OS's are starting to look more and more like iOS. I use a desktop because it isn't my iPhone.

But does anyone besides myself find it a little weird that the Dictation feature in ML is not all that verbose, and sends the data directly to the NSA... oops No, I mean Apple, sorry. Well, why should I be concerned, if I have nothing to hide right?

exactly.....im not so much worried about the social media integration b/c I understand how much money iPhones make for them.....

and that makes their decision easy....

but yes the NSA doesn't need to know all that information about me...for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back