Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all as Im building a Hackintosh and only have a dvd of leopard 10.5.6 i know that i have to get a new dvd for snow leopard and then install lion
Question
are the serial numbers protected ie you can only use the one dvd on one Hackintosh,
or can I do the hacks from tonymacx86, buy a S/H Snow leopard dvd off of Ebay and install it, and then buy the lion update app.

Ok I made that question hard for myself ok
Snow leopard
new from apple
or S/H from ebay

Rayrosher said:
Hi all as Im building a Hackintosh and only have a dvd of leopard 10.5.6 i know that i have to get a new dvd for snow leopard and then install lion
Question
are the serial numbers protected ie you can only use the one dvd on one Hackintosh,
or can I do the hacks from tonymacx86, buy a S/H Snow leopard dvd off of Ebay and install it, and then buy the lion update app.

Snow leopard
new from apple
or S/H from ebay
Forget ebay. Buy direct from source at US$29.00. I don't think ebay will give you a better deal and you can be sure to get a NEW DVD that works.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573 ... MTY1NDAzOA
You can install Snow Leopard IIRC on a max of 5 computers per the license agreement, but who checks?. From what I have read, there is no limit on Lion.

What are your hardware specs? Based on that, maybe you will have different suggestion for OS X version.

How did you get the Leopard DVD? Is it from other apple machine? Or is it a retail DVD from store?

The retail DVD is ok.

If needed, You could buy Snow Leopard DVD from store, and register apple id and use it in any apple machine to buy Lion from app store.

cavendishqi said:
What are your hardware specs? Based on that, maybe you will have different suggestion for OS X version.

How did you get the Leopard DVD? Is it from other apple machine? Or is it a retail DVD from store?

The retail DVD is ok.

If needed, You could buy Snow Leopard DVD from store, and register apple id and use it in any apple machine to buy Lion from app store.

Sorry should have made myself a bit clearer
I already have a copy of Leopard for a Powermac G5 I have. (Copy was a new Dvd from the apple store) as the system I bought didn't have an os on it, and it would only take Leopard. Early G5 2.3ghz....

However this is for an entirely new build of a hackintosh
New hackintosh Specs..

Gigyabyte Z68Xp-UD3P M/B
i7. 2600K 3.4ghz Processor.
Powercolor Radeon HD6950. 2Gb Vortex-2. Graphics Card
OCZ 16Gb Vengence memory.
OCZ 750watt modular power supply.
120Gb OCZ Agility3 ssd.
1tb Hitachi Sata Drive.
Sony Optrica Dvd.
OCZ H50 water cooled system. Not sure if I'm going to use this?
Lin Lau back panel and motherboard panel,
G5 case.

Just checked the apple store here in the UK and the only version of snow leopard that seems to be available is an upgrade from leopard price is £26 plus P&P probably $35/40 US. Apple stuff maybe cheape for you guys in the US, but here in the UK it borders on extortion.
their are some full install unopened DVD's on ebay for about £30 maybe it's the same dvd, but i'm not sure

You can buy from eBay if you get one under for 29 dollars but don't pay more than the retail price of 29 plus S/H. I bought mine for $21.

Going Bald said:
Rayrosher said:
Question

Snow leopard
new from apple
or S/H from ebay
Forget ebay. Buy direct from source at US$29.00. I don't think ebay will give you a better deal and you can be sure to get a NEW DVD that works.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573 ... MTY1NDAzOA
You can install Snow Leopard IIRC on a max of 5 computers per the license agreement, but who checks?. From what I have read, there is no limit on Lion.

Hi just checked your Link and it looks identical to the one in the UK apple store. but it says Upgrade, is this the full install dvd or the upgrade version, if it's the full dvd then it's way cheaper than the ebay version

It may say upgrade, but it is a full install DVD. Same one I used on my build (except I used 10.6.0 and I think the only available one now is 10.6.3, or maybe 10.6.6?

Rayrosher said:
Just checked the apple store here in the UK and the only version of snow leopard that seems to be available is an upgrade from leopard price is £26 plus P&P probably $35/40 US. Apple stuff maybe cheape for you guys in the US, but here in the UK it borders on extortion.
their are some full install unopened DVD's on ebay for about £30 maybe it's the same dvd, but i'm not sure
Make sure it has a white box with a picture of a snow leopard on it that takes up ~ half the space on the front of the box. Don't buy a grey disc - those are Mac specific restore discs.

EDIT: Look here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... d-lga.html and scroll down to the Snow Leopard retail box. Make sure the one you buy matches.

Going Bald said:
Rayrosher said:
Make sure it has a white box with a picture of a snow leopard on it that takes up ~ half the space on the front of the box. Don't buy a grey disc - those are Mac specific restore discs.

EDIT: Look here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... d-lga.html and scroll down to the Snow Leopard retail box. Make sure the one you buy matches.

Thanks GB it looks like the right one However when I get to the store I will check Thanks Ray:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back