Hi guys!

I created this build:

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Intel Core i5 2500K
16GB RAM (4x4GB)
Nvidia 8400GS
Samsung 1TB
Seagate 3TB

I installed the system on my own Macbook Pro so it was completely vanilla, I then put the disk into this computer and booted using rBoot CD. This worked straight away and I installed the DSDT (downloaded from this website) and relevant kext files (like Realtek ethernet driver), rebooted and everything worked! I then added the NVidia card to NVDASMAN50.kext and that worked perfect as well!

I was a happy man :D

But, then the troubles started;

- The system disk got corrupted, fsck wasn't able to fix and the computer would turn off when trying to boot
- Re-installed on same disk, after 1,5 week I had the same problem
- Concluded the systemdrive was faulty, grabbed a 500GB, put an image onto it (using Carbon Copy Cloner) and tried to boot it, again using rBoot. This drive got corrupted after 3 Kernel Panics, all on the first night trying to get it to work in my computer.

I admit I'm a bit at a loss on this one, what could be causing this corruption time and time again? Could something be wrong with my motherboard? My install procedure is as follows;

- Install OSX on a drive using my Macbook Pro
- Putting it into the computer (S-ATA)
- Booting using rBoot
- Run Multibeast with my DSDT downloaded from the database (matches my BIOS version) to install the kexts I need
- Reboot and enjoy Lion

Does anyone see anything wrong here? I also made all the BIOS optimizations per Tony's instructions..?

If anyone has some pointers that would be absolutely great!

Re: New install keeps getting corrupt on multiple disks

Installing off your macbook will NOT work.

You either need a retail copy of SL DVD and iBoot OR Lion 10.7.3. USING Unibeast.

\\\\\

When things go funky, it is time to go back to basics and re-qualify the components. I would remove the second drive (disconnect), pull all USB items but keyboard and mouse, use one display. Start with memtest and qualify the memory with at least 8 hours with the covers in place and your normal fan configuration. This test tells you a lot about your system if it passes 8 hours. If you have a memory failure, it means you have a memory, motherboard or PSU problem (and you will need to isolate it to which one is causing the problem.

neil

jester969 said:

You either need a retail copy of SL DVD and iBoot OR Lion 10.7.3. USING Unibeast.

\\\\\

How do you mean it will NOT work? It has worked? I can boot it? I didn't clone my Macbook installation, just installed retail USING my Macbook Pro, then used Multibeat to make it bootable and add the necessary kext files?

Can you tell me WHY it will not work?

BPMb said:
jester969 said:

\\\\\

How do you mean it will NOT work? It has worked? I can boot it? I didn't clone my Macbook installation, just installed retail USING my Macbook Pro, then used Multibeat to make it bootable and add the necessary kext files?

Can you tell me WHY it will not work?

If you were installing retail you would have used Unibeast. No where have you mentioned iboot/Unibeast to install. :|

You mention installing SATA disk to hardware off macbook.

You ONLY mention rBoot which is a rescue disk. I ONLY read what users have mentioned for analysis.

thanks for your reply Jester.. However, as far as I can see, Unibeast/ iBoot is only necessary to install retail on the actual hackintosh, enabling one to boot the retail disk in the first place, it doesn't do anything else as far as I'm aware? You should even be able to run it on a real Mac (at least with the old iBoot method?)

I found the problem, it was a faulty RAM DIMM :D

I'm now testing the remaining 3 just to be sure but things are looking good, it didn't just throw 1 error, in about 10 seconds Memtestx86+ found 20000+ errors! No wonder all installations got corrupted! Thanks for the suggestion neilhart, hadn't come round to it yet :oops:

(I've ruled out the DIMM slot by verifying another DIMM in it, in each test there was only one DIMM inserted)

Jester, just for your information; I'm very sure you can clone/ install a retail OSX on a real Mac, then drop it into your Macx86, boot it using rBoot and install MultiBeast. I've installed my own (see sig) Macx86 exactly the same way and it's been working for a year now..

I'm not saying this in an 'I told you so'-kind of way, it just might make your future installs a lot easier/ faster :mrgreen:

I've now installed all the applications that should go on the disk on my Macbook and can then later boot it in the x86 build while it's checking it's remaining DIMM's

I am glad to hear that your problem has been identified. We take it for granted much of the time that the hardware is good.

And yes you can boot "clean" installs on other systems. The risk is that we go into a running system and start adding fixes and discrete changes for the current system. This impacts the transportability of the affected partition.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back