Graphics
NVidia GTX 660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am looking to build a new computer and would like to run OSX on it if possible. This system would mostly be used for school and web development work. I do not play lots of games but have recently gotten into world of warcraft. Here is the current build I hope to buy from http://www.ewiz.com in the next few days.

Case: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z No PS Mid Tower Gaming Case (Black)
CPU: Intel Core i3 Processor i3-530 2.93GHz 4MB LGA1156 CPU, Retail
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 Socket 1156/ Intel P55/ DDR3/ CrossFireX&SLI/ A&GbE/ MATX Motherboard
Memory: Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G DDR3-1333 4GB (2x2GB) CL9 Memory Kit
Videocard: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4670 512MB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card, Retail
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAJS 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223C/BEBE 22X SATA DVD+/-RW Internal Drive (Black), Bulk w/o Software
Power Supply: Cooler Master RS500-PCARA3-US eXtreme Power 500W ATX12V Power Supply

Cost: 499.50 + 64.00 (shipping) = $563.50

A few questions I had about this build are:
  • Is the i3 processor fully functional (including HT) using the method found here, http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/ ... ssors.html ? [/*:m:2x3sof9k]
  • Is the Qoopz 10.0.0 kernel as stable as the default OSX kernel?
    [/*:m:2x3sof9k]
  • Is the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4670 fully supported? Dual display using the analog and dvi connectors? (I selected this card because it is similar to what ships with the curent iMac)[/*:m:2x3sof9k]

This system is already well over my budget. I considered building the system myself from newegg.com but it looks like i can get it cheaper using the custom builders at http://www.ewiz.com/system_index.php

Please let me know if you would recommend any changes or if you have any tips to help me save a bit of money.

Thanks,
Daniel.

You should really consider the Core i5 750. Otherwise looks good- the ATI card is a bit difficult, but works.

Thanks for the quick response! I really want to get an i5-750 but it would add about $75 to my already over budget build. Are there any working H55 motherboards or is there a cheaper video card that could handle my light gaming. I might be able to bring the i5-750 into my budget if i could cut costs there.

I have been using a 3 year old MacBook Pro c2d 2.16ghz with the x1600 so probably anything will be an upgrade in performance.

- Daniel.

hey bro, did the i3 work? i can't seem to PM you.

alogon said:
Thanks for the quick response! I really want to get an i5-750 but it would add about $75 to my already over budget build. Are there any working H55 motherboards or is there a cheaper video card that could handle my light gaming. I might be able to bring the i5-750 into my budget if i could cut costs there.

I have been using a 3 year old MacBook Pro c2d 2.16ghz with the x1600 so probably anything will be an upgrade in performance.

- Daniel.

The i5-750 is $10 less at MicroCenter if you're near one and that actually makes a difference for you. Your 4670 is probably the best for light gaming, as any lower would only make flash games possible (and non-3d games). A good H55 board is located in my signature under "Suggested Builds for New Users" if you're interested. I forgot exactly what it was, but I think it was the H55M-UD2H

jimx86 said:
alogon said:

- Daniel.

The i5-750 is $10 less at MicroCenter if you're near one and that actually makes a difference for you. Your 4670 is probably the best for light gaming, as any lower would only make flash games possible (and non-3d games). A good H55 board is located in my signature under "Suggested Builds for New Users" if you're interested. I forgot exactly what it was, but I think it was the H55M-UD2H

Talking about that build, my brother now wants a cheap hackintosh, so he is considering that build.... Just so you know. :)

Tom

tinkerC said:
Talking about that build, my brother now wants a cheap hackintosh, so he is considering that build.... Just so you know. :)

Tom

Sweet! :D
It's great knowing that all the work I do actually helps people!

jimx86 said:
tinkerC said:

Tom

Sweet! :D
It's great knowing that all the work I do actually helps people!

I never get that confirmation when I help people, so I started to slow down. That is why this form is so great, people tell you when they used your tips.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back