Intel i7 9700k
Graphics
MSI 1050ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone!
I'm totally new to the whole Hackintosh thing but as soon as I found out it was possible I've been on this forum reading up!

Apologies in advance for the super long post, I just wanted to get every thought out there to get started. There's a little TL;DR down the bottom just in case! :silent:

A little back story:
I got my first MBP in 2012 and switching over to OSX was something I was hesitant about but once I started using it, I loved it. Sadly in the last few weeks my 15 inch MBP 2011 has bit the dust due to the whole discrete graphics card issue with horizontal lines and so on that a ton of others have been having. I'm still hoping it can be fixed but if it's really going to cost me $1700 to replace a logic board for something that wasn't my fault to begin with I might as well spend that on a desktop. Portability is not as important as it was the last 3 years.

I've been able to manage with the i7, 16GB RAM MBP for the last 3 years. It sure as hell beats the Windows XP desktop with single-core 2GB RAM and weak GPU I was using before :lol:

The MBP has been great for what I've been doing (Music Production, DJ, Graphic Design, Coding and general stuff like surfing the web) everything has been pretty smooth and enough to get the job done.

I'd be lying if I said it wasn't showing signs I need something faster. Sometimes loading up a large photoshop file took time, streaming onto Apple TV was jumpy and Analysing a large collection of new music took quite a while. :beachball:

Now, down to the build ideas:
I've wanted to build my own custom desktop for a while and knowing that it's possible to run OSX is a huge win to me! I've been reading through some of the threads and guides to get an idea of what's possible and have a rough idea of what I want.

I want to be able to do everything I could before but also have plans to start moving into video editing as well which I know requires a fair bit of power.

I want a workhorse that's quick and smooth and want to start building as soon as possible so I can get back to work.

I know it might not be necessary but I was looking at the Mac Pro for some inspiration and saw a few dual CPU motherboard builds (didn't even know there were motherboards that took 2 let alone 4 CPU's!) and then compiled this small list of them to get the ball rolling.

• EVGA SR-2
  • EVGA SR-X
  • Asus Z9PE
  • Asus Z10PE

I felt like I would start off with something modest like the EVGA SR-2 for now with a pair of x5650's and when I could afford it, grab a pair of x5690's. If that ever felt like it was holding me back (Which I can't really imagine considering I've been satisfied by a quad-core laptop) I would eventually build something a lot more powerful, maybe grab a Asus board and go crazy or something else would be available by then.

[video=youtube;Kqjvj8mUCKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqjvj8mUCKI[/video]
This build was what caught my attention - Mufasa

Only problem is the EVGA SR-2 is discontinued and I can't find them anywhere close.

I see there are also some motherboards by HP and supermicro that can take dual CPU's but I don't know if it's really necessary or if I should get a motherboard with a single CPU slot and go from there.

TL;DR
Macbook died -> saw Hackintoshes were a thing -> saw dual CPU motherboards existed and my mind exploded -> wanted to build a dual CPU hackintosh -> motherboard discontinued -> I don't know what to do anymore. :banghead:

Music Production, DJ, Graphic Design, Coding and general stuff like surfing the web

Something like the Mufasa build in that video is about 6-8 more cores than you need.
More cores won't make your Customac any faster. The advantage of having 12 cores
would occur if you were rendering HD/UHD video on a regular basis. (all day long)
If you spend more on your SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) high quality ram and
enough of it (at least 16 GB) you'll have a much better user experience than
spending lots of cash on dual 6 core Xeon's that you don't need.

Instead of a difficult and complicated dual CPU build, that many experienced
users have difficulty with, first look at some of the I7-4790K builds with
fast ram and SSD drives. Those builds will do 10X better than your old
Macbook Pro did. This latest I7 desktop CPU is many times more powerful
than your laptop I7. If you overclock it even more so.

Add in a GTX 970 gfx card for video editing and you'll be set for quite a few years.
And you won't have to spend over $2,000 on your hardware, probably only 1/2 that.

The general rule to follow is: Start with Buyer's Guide components and follow a
successful detailed guide that uses the same components as yours. Then success is
highly likely and you won't end up running Windows on your new hardware instead of OS X.

You're in luck today :) Apple just posted today a repair extension on the GPU issue for the macbook pro 2011 15/17 and along with some 2012/2013 Macbook Pro retinas for GPU failures.... you have til Feb 2016 to take care of it...

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back