CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just bought a quadro 410 - works fine and only has a max. power consumption of 38W.
The fan constantly runs at 2800 RPM and is pretty noisy though.
I can read speeds and temps, but not control with Mac Fan Control.

With the fan running the temp. is around 40 deg. celcius.
Without the fan (completely unmounted) it idles at around 65 deg, but pretty easily goes to 80 deg. on load. Unfortunately it seems that some apps when run on the primary graphics card (GTX 770) will still drive up clock speed on the secondary quadro 410. Chrome does this...

I could use some inputs on:
- Critical temp for the 410? (not in manual)
- Suggestions on either mod of the fan or heatsink. Heatpipes are accessible on eBay., so it should be possible somehow :)
(e.g. https://www.ebay.de/itm/Flaches-War...Ersatz-Geringes-Gewicht-Nutzlich/193837288919)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7d7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7d1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7d6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7d3.jpg

Idle no fan (pink is 410 - they are named wrong):
idle_nofan.png

Window drag no fan:
drag_nofan.png

Chrome force high clock:
high_clock_nofan2.png

Kind regards
/hvedemelsbof

Last edited:
Suggestions on either mod of the fan or heatsink.
Due to the nature of the stock fan on the 410, they will be noisy and inefficient. Smaller fans must spin at high RPMs to keep the GPU cool. There's no way around that. What you can do is install a larger 92 or 120mm fan in your case that blows air directly over your graphics card. Get a high quality name brand fan from the likes of BeQuiet or Noctua and install it in your case. Possibly on the side panel closest to the GPU. You could even remove the tiny 410 fan altogether if the new fan is close enough to the heatsink.

You might even attach one of these to your existing 410 heatsink to cool it better. Has PWM control.

They also make smaller 40mm fans too.

Last edited:
NVIDIA GPUs are designed to operate reliably up to their maximum specified operating temperature. This maximum temperature varies by GPU. Refer to the nvidia.com product page for individual GPU specifications. If a GPU hits the maximum temperature, the driver will throttle down performance to attempt to bring temperature back underneath the maximum specification. If the GPU temperature continues to increase despite the performance throttling, the GPU will shutdown the system to prevent damage to the graphics card. If a GPU is hitting the maximum temperature, improved system cooling via an added system fan in the PC can help to reduce temperatures.

What this info from Nvidia is telling us is that the card will shut down to protect itself once it gets too hot. They don't give specifics on how many degrees C it takes for that to happen. You could experiment to find out but it's not really necessary.

This works perfectly and is dead silent:
IMG_8193.jpeg

Running Heaven (which i didn't dare to do before):
Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 14.35.06.png

Ty! I just need to mount it somehow ;) Mounting to the chassis wall will be annoing i think, since that's the removable wall.

For future reference: The highest temperature i got was 83 deg - seemingly without throttle to the clock speed.

Last edited:
Nice use of a Surveyors measuring stick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back