Gigabyte GTX650Ti 2GB Boost
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,

I just purchased all of the hardware to build my new dual boot win/mac. Following the guides, here is what I have:

Intel i7-4770k CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H mATX motherboard
32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 RAM
Gigabyte GTX650Ti Boost Video (GV-N65TBOC-2GD)
Silverstone 650W 80 Plus GOLD PSU (ST65F-G)
Fractal Design Node 605 HTPC Case (FD-CA-NODE-605-BL)
LG Blu Ray Writer Optical Drive (BT20N)
2x Samsung EVO 120GB SSD drive (MZ-7TE120BW) (one of them already has Windows 8.1 - blue on it)
Western Digital Green 2TB HDD (WD20EZRX)

My problem is that I do not have access to a working mac. I have read many posts about purchasing and installing the Snow Leopard DVD, but with my hardware, my question is: is that going to work? Does Snow Leopard support this brand new hardware? Will it even install? Any help would be appreciated. If this is in the wrong spot, please let me know.

I love, love, love, this site,

David

This hardware will not be Snow Leopard compatible as far as I'm aware.

Another option if you have access to a PC with a different operating system is to use VirtualBox and create a virtual machine to install Snow Leopard (is it ok to say that? I know prebuilt vms are a no-no, but to install your legit SL disk to it is fine ja?), and create your Unibeast drive from there. That's the process I'm in at the moment as the USB drive I created when I had a mac turned out to be corrupted.

Edit: There have been attempts according to this forum post:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...-x-10-6-snow-leopard-haswell-based-pcs-2.html

I think I'm just going to go with the actual mac route while I have the chance. Another small issue came up, though. This person uses their mac to work from home and is totally paranoid about viruses and malware. They insist that I purchase a brand new usb drive even though I have more than a few laying around. So since I'm going to have to buy one any way, two questions pop up:

1. Any specific brand or model that works best (since I'm going to own it, I would like it to be fast)?

2. Do I have to buy a usb 2.0? Or can I use a usb 3.0 as a usb 2.0 until the install is successful?

3. Should I get more than one (for multibeast, unibeast, etc.)?

Thanks again.

Hey guys,

I'm so pumped about this build, I just had to go and donate $50.00 to help you keep up the good work.

Anyway, new development. This person with the mac is now officially CRAZY and I no longer wish to deal with them. So now I'm back to square one with no access to a mac. I took a look at the post offered by "going_bald" and I think that will be my best option.

I called my local Apple store, but they said that I would have to get the DVD online at apple.com. So I went there and ordered it. Should be here Monday. I would love to get this thing going right now, but oh well.

My questions about the usb drive(s) still remain, though. Should I get a few of them, or will one be enough?

Thanks again.

Hey guys,

I'm so pumped about this build, I just had to go and donate $50.00 to help you keep up the good work.

Anyway, new development. This person with the mac is now officially CRAZY and I no longer wish to deal with them. So now I'm back to square one with no access to a mac. I took a look at the post offered by "going_bald" and I think that will be my best option.

I called my local Apple store, but they said that I would have to get the DVD online at apple.com. So I went there and ordered it. Should be here Monday. I would love to get this thing going right now, but oh well.

My questions about the usb drive(s) still remain, though. Should I get a few of them, or will one be enough?

Thanks again.

If you are going to be starting from Snow Leopard then I would suggest buying 1. As your hardware will support Mountain Lion and once you create the Mountain Lion UniBeast USB you can install as many times as you like. And Keep it always! It is a great recovery if anything bizarre happens.

Thanks wildwillow.

As for the capacity and format, can I get one larger than 8gb? And can it be a usb 3.0 since series 8 chipsets support it natively?

Thanks again.

Yes USB3.0 is enabled in the latest UniBeast, it costs more, not a lot, but you may want to keep it. I have my USB's labelled from 10.8.0. But at the latter stages its good to have a back up. Once you have a stable system then it's recommended to update the installer. So if you want just an installer then buy a 8GB USB drive, if you want to use it later bare in mind that you may lose your OS X compatibility. They are cheap as chips:thumbup:

Well then like I said in a previous post, I have a few laying around. I have an 8gb Patriot XPorter usb 2.0 flash drive. I'll just dedicate that to this project. If I spend any money getting a new one, I'll just get what I want once everything is up and running.

So now it's just hurry up and wait. Thanks for all your advice and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back