Contribute
Register

New Hard Drive.. Also I want to install lion. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
custom
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics
GeForce
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Well I installed SL on a 160gb drive. That was a mistake. Now I have a 500gb drive, and I want to use that drive to install Lion. Would I like, transfer my first drive to the second and upgrade, do a clean install, or what?

I wanted to ask here before I did anything stupid ;P

Thanks for taking a look at this thread ;3

ilive12 said:
Well I installed SL on a 160gb drive. That was a mistake. Now I have a 500gb drive, and I want to use that drive to install Lion. Would I like, transfer my first drive to the second and upgrade, do a clean install, or what?

I would use Superduper or CCC to create a clone of the 160 to your 500GB drive. This will give you a drive that will boot and then update the 500GB. I would clone the drive when you get it working. :thumbup:

ilive12 said:

Before you make your decision to update SL or do a clean install there is a check you need to make. Are you able to run the 64-bit kernel on your hardware?

If you are able to run 64-bit kernel, then you can do a clean install of Lion to your new HD with no problem, set up your users and transfer your files with no problem.

If your hardware is not capable of running 64-bit, then make a backup of your SL install, then install Lion over the Snow Leopard.

So far as moving your install to the larger drive, I would leave the OS on the small drive and only move the user files to the larger one. This keeps the OS running a little faster.
See Lnx2Mac's guide for how-to http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/mov ... ition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back