CPU
Intel i5-2500K
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My old and trustworthy gigabyte ga-z68ma-d2h-b3 has stopped working, and I am trying to figure out what to buy.
I'm on a very tight budget and it has to at least run Yosemite.

I have RAM and CPU cooler from the old motherboard, they should be compatible with the new one.

I am looking at a gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V and a Intel Core i3-4170 haswell CPU.

Both things are very reasonable priced, but does any of you have any comments amount compatibility / incompatibility?
Maybe another motherboard suggestion?? Is a GA-H97M-D3H a better solution? It's only a little bit more expensive :)

As you probably know the HD4400 graphics are not supported. So if you want to use those in
place of a discrete card you'll have use Rehabman's fake PCIID kext and make some other
changes to the clover plist for it to work. If the H97M cost is about the same I would choose
that chipset over H81 since the 4170 matches up better with H97 Haswell refresh hardware.

My old Z68MA-D2H is still going strong after 4 years of daily use. One of the best boards that
I've ever purchased. Thank goodness for the Tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide !

Thanks for the reply.
I do have a gfx card I would use, but I do like the option to use the build in HD gfx, I was not aware of the problems with HD4400.

I was thinking of buying the suggested board in the customac mATX section, the Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H and then buy the Core i3-4360 from the budget section. The price difference is only 300 kr (I'm from Denmark) and that hardware should be 100% compatible, right?

I was thinking of buying the suggested board in the customac mATX section, the Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H and then buy the Core i3-4360 from the budget section. The price difference is only 300 kr (I'm from Denmark) and that hardware should be 100% compatible, right?

Yes, you can use the i3-4360 with that mobo with no problems. To me it's hard to tell the difference
between those 3.7 GHz i3s and the Haswell i5s. In some areas the i3s are actually faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back