nVidia GT 220
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

Who has experiences with RAID-Hardware Controllers with 2 HDD's or 2 SSD's in RAID0-Mode. Does the Mac-Certified Hardware like Highpoint work without Problems? I'd like To Build a Ivybridge-Based Hackintosh in some months. An equivalent to the Mac pro models.
Thanx 4 ya help

So does it mean that Hardware RAID like setup over a gigabyte bios raid are not working. because i've got the chance to test an fresh hackintosh installation. With one HDD everything is OK but with 2 HDD in RAID0 the Install DVD of 10.6.3 tells me "Still waiting for root device" in verbose mode - so it seems to me that it doesn't recongnise the Hardware RAID over BIOS. What do you think? Does anybody know a solution? Or must i buy a MacCompatible Hardware RAID Card?

greetings!!!

Eppl said:
So does it mean that Hardware RAID like setup over a gigabyte bios raid are not working. because i've got the chance to test an fresh hackintosh installation. With one HDD everything is OK but with 2 HDD in RAID0 the Install DVD of 10.6.3 tells me "Still waiting for root device" in verbose mode - so it seems to me that it doesn't recongnise the Hardware RAID over BIOS. What do you think? Does anybody know a solution? Or must i buy a MacCompatible Hardware RAID Card?

greetings!!!

The hardware raid in the bios will not work with os x. You have two choices:

1. software raid setup through the disk utility
2. raid card

I have a software raid, but after my research, I didn't read anywhere that a RAID-Card is supposed to work as boot drive, it's more for RAID5 and Backups.

If this Highpoint cards work as a boot drive RAID, I will buy one ;)

Would a card like the Highpoint Rocketraid 4320 work as the root volume?

I believe that card is a hardware raid card. Does Unibeast / Chameleon / Chimera install directly to it?

For example, I *think* you could create a RAID5 "disk" (by access the card's firmware during POST of the PC and building the canister from your physical drives) and if the OS X installer doesn't choke it should see it as one large drive. At that point OS X should merrily install.

Does anyone know if this would actually work?

MOST of the Highpoint cards work as boot drives for actual Macs. You install a Kext and there is builtin drivers Apple has provided to them as far as I understand that allow for booting off their RAID cards.

This is Highpoint's Mac dedicated website. http://hptmac.com

Hello. Providing the machine is a hackintosh i assume ANY highpoint card will work? Or does it still need to be a mac compatible one still?

Surely the raid is set up in a bios screen thingy, then is presented to whatever OS as one drive? Then it's just a case of initializing the drive in disk utility? ( I DON'T need a bootable raid)

Are these drivers for managing the raid from within the OS rather than at boot time? Are the necessary for running?

Really could do with these answering as a have a few brand new HDD's waiting for a controller that will run them in raid 5.

Cheers,
Chris.

Hey there!

I have the RocketRAID 2720 Controller, equipped with 8 SATA Ports, running on my Hackintosh. It is connected to 8 ST3000DM001 by Seagate, so i have 24TB, in RAID 5 21TB of Space. A ninth HDD is connected directly to the Mainboard via SATA, running OS X 10.8.4.
The Controller itself runs directly on the PCIe Bus. No SATA limitation!

The Controller works fine for me half a year now, 24/7.

it has never failed in this time.

The Speed is awesome, i have up to 700MB/s read AND write. SSD Speed with 21TB in RAID 5. What can you ask more for? :D

i Am completely satisfied with it and can give a clearly recommendation to buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back