CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It's time for me to get a new PC and since Apple doesn't sell anything anymore that has a good price to value ratio or is upgradable I decided to build my first Hackintosh. The Components I picked are as follows:

CPU: Intel 8700k
Ram: 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 or Asus Maximus Hero XI
CPU cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
Power Supply: 550 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Gold
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C
SSD: MX500 1Tb and 500Gb

Will this parts work together?

I would prefer a z390 mainboard as the z370 seem to get out of stock quite soon and I will wait a few more weeks with the build hoping for the CPU prices to get a little lower. It needs to have two monitor outputs though.

I would be nice if the mainboard would have the option to add a tb-card later. I want to use the iGPU only at first and add a dedicated gpu later, as I don't need it for music production. I read in the forum that there are many problems with iGPU only, so the question is if it's possible for a first time builder to get the system running properly without a dedicated gpu or if i need to buy a cheap used one.

Thanks for your suggestions

It's time for me to get a new PC and since Apple doesn't sell anything anymore that has a good price to value ratio or is upgradable I decided to build my first Hackintosh. The Components I picked are as follows:

CPU: Intel 8700k
Ram: 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 or Asus Maximus Hero XI
CPU cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 4
Power Supply: 550 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 11 Modular 80+ Gold
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C
SSD: MX500 1Tb and 500Gb

Will this parts work together?

I would prefer a z390 mainboard as the z370 seem to get out of stock quite soon and I will wait a few more weeks with the build hoping for the CPU prices to get a little lower. It needs to have two monitor outputs though.

I would be nice if the mainboard would have the option to add a tb-card later. I want to use the iGPU only at first and add a dedicated gpu later, as I don't need it for music production. I read in the forum that there are many problems with iGPU only, so the question is if it's possible for a first time builder to get the system running properly without a dedicated gpu or if i need to buy a cheap used one.

Thanks for your suggestions

Yes, these components should be compatible with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Mojave.

The Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 has a Thunderbolt header onboard so it is possible to connect a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the Gigabyte GC-Alpine Ridge. The Asus Maxiumus Hero XI, although being a newer Z390, has no such header onboard and no Thunderbolt 3 onboard, so it probably won't work with Thunderbolt 3 devices.

Intel CPU prices are unlikely to drop in the foreseeable future as Intel said the production of 14nm technology products (including your 8700K) at Intel is currently not enough to satisfy demand.

No idea about the iGPU though. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can answer.

Thanks for your responses. I bought the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 because of the awsome and very similar built by @HackaShaq . With this guide it's nearly impossible to mess up the built. I'm hoping that the iGPU works with my two 1440p monitors though, as there are reports about flickering on other machines.

Thanks for your responses. I bought the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 because of the awsome and very similar built by @HackaShaq . With this guide it's nearly impossible to mess up the built. I'm hoping that the iGPU works with my two 1440p monitors though, as there are reports about flickering on other machines.
Thank you for your kind words. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back