i7 8750H
Graphics
1050Ti
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

I've built a few hacks over the years but now I need to build one to work with video software (Videostittch, Final Cut Pro X, Premiere and Aftereffects CC) which is not my speciality.

One specific software (Videostittch) only works with CUDA GPUs, so we're thinking about the GTX 980.

Thunderbolt is a plus but we would REALLY like to have it working (even if it's not hot swappable).

Any comments about this list below?

- GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
- EVGA 04G-P4-2981-KR GeForce GTX 980 4GB
- Intel Core i7-4790K
- Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
- Rosewill Legacy QT01-S - Tri-Fan, Silver Aluminum Alloy ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case
- Cooler Master Seidon 120V – Compact All-In-One CPU Liquid Water Cooling System with 120mm Radiator and Fan
- Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G
- CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
- SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E120B/AM 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3-D (mac boot)
- SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D (temporary work drive)
- a couple more 4tb drives for archival

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've built a few hacks over the years but now I need to build one to work with video software (Videostittch, Final Cut Pro X, Premiere and Aftereffects CC) which is not my speciality.

One specific software (Videostittch) only works with CUDA GPUs, so we're thinking about the GTX 980.

Thunderbolt is a plus but we would REALLY like to have it working (even if it's not hot swappable).

Any comments about this list below?

- GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
- EVGA 04G-P4-2981-KR GeForce GTX 980 4GB
- Intel Core i7-4790K
- Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
- Rosewill Legacy QT01-S - Tri-Fan, Silver Aluminum Alloy ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case
- Cooler Master Seidon 120V – Compact All-In-One CPU Liquid Water Cooling System with 120mm Radiator and Fan
- Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G
- CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD
- SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E120B/AM 2.5" 120GB SATA III 3-D (mac boot)
- SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E500B/AM 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D (temporary work drive)
- a couple more 4tb drives for archival

Thanks

nVidia cards are not good value with FCP X. AMD are far, far faster. If you need to use Videostitch then I guess you need the nVidia but kiss any serious FCP X rendering speed goodbye.

You probably need more memory. 16GB is a bit light for serious editing.

Not sure why people add cases and thermal compound and ask about compatibility.

Ditto for water coolers.

PSU is big enough. Might not be if you have two 980's working flat out.

SSD's are fine. Large video files will easily eat up 500GB though.

I would check on the exact SKU of the memory on the Crucial site and make sure its explicitly listed as compatible.

I always wonder why people want Thunderbolt on a Hackintosh. Its still flakey, but its getting better, however its still not a mature hack. The cost of peripherals are obscene, even simple disk enclosures are 2-3x the price they should be. The only displays you can use are Apple ones, which aren't too bad value, but still aren't cheap. Unless there is a Thunderbolt only peripheral, and I know there are some, its an expensive and difficult technology to add. I use very large data sets and looked at it and shook my head at the prices I'd have to pay and went internal SATA and iSCSI. However YMMV.

nVidia cards are not good value with FCP X. AMD are far, far faster. If you need to use Videostitch then I guess you need the nVidia but kiss any serious FCP X rendering speed goodbye.
- Yeah... I know about nVidias... but we have no choice. Videostittch requires nVidia :/

You probably need more memory. 16GB is a bit light for serious editing.
- Ok. We'll go 32GB then.

Not sure why people add cases and thermal compound and ask about compatibility.
- My bad :) I just copied the list I had here!

Ditto for water coolers.
- Cool!

PSU is big enough. Might not be if you have two 980's working flat out.
- No plans to double GPUs.

SSD's are fine. Large video files will easily eat up 500GB though.
- Thanks

I would check on the exact SKU of the memory on the Crucial site and make sure its explicitly listed as compatible.
- Sorry, you lost me. SKU is related to stock, no? What does it have to do with compatibility?

I always wonder why people want Thunderbolt on a Hackintosh. Its still flakey, but its getting better, however its still not a mature hack. The cost of peripherals are obscene, even simple disk enclosures are 2-3x the price they should be. The only displays you can use are Apple ones, which aren't too bad value, but still aren't cheap. Unless there is a Thunderbolt only peripheral, and I know there are some, its an expensive and difficult technology to add. I use very large data sets and looked at it and shook my head at the prices I'd have to pay and went internal SATA and iSCSI. However YMMV.
- this is also a choice. First because we use the Apollo Duo audio interface which is Thunderbolt only. Second because we have a few external HDDs that are USB3 and Thunderbolt, so I rather keep them running on Thunderbolt than USB3 if I can. It's not like I will buy more Thunderbolt peripherals...

Thanks!

- Sorry, you lost me. SKU is related to stock, no? What does it have to do with compatibility?
What he is referring to here is the QVL or Qualified Vendor List for RAM in the support section of the info on your mainboard on the OEM web site. Latest Intel PCH is very picky about RAM, so best is to match the make / model of the RAM in the QVL, then go to the RAM OEM site and make sure that mainboard is listed as being supported for the model RAM you are looking to buy. Best is if both match, but I would go with the board QVL list if not on the RAM OEM site if only because these models of RAM are the ones the factory tested with the board.

Thanks Going Bald!

That probably saved me a lot of trouble! The RAM I wanted was not "qualified" so I found the good one and ordered all pieces of the puzzle!
Let's see how it goes after I build the machine!
Thanks again!

To keep the community informed: the hack works fine so far and installation was a breeze.
I'll do a proper post describing everything soon!

Thanks everyone!

Hello there, very interesting thread. I wonder, are you running Videostitch on your configuration u mentioned? How is it working? Would you be able to post some benchmarks on rendering lets say a minute of 8K 360x360 from VS?! Is the thunderbolt working?

Hello there, very interesting thread. I wonder, are you running Videostitch on your configuration u mentioned? How is it working? Would you be able to post some benchmarks on rendering lets say a minute of 8K 360x360 from VS?! Is the thunderbolt working?

Hey PanoPeet,

I'm not the one using the station, but I get some numbers for you soon.

Thunderbolt is NOT working on the mac side yet. I didn't really have the time to troubleshoot it until now.

But with the proper nVidia drivers (the first one I installed was not in great shape) the computer is a MONSTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back