Contribute
Register

New graphics card for Final Cut Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, since the Batmobile is hard to get, I need some advice. Will another company's 5770 do? Will it be as compatible? Will it work ok? Please advise!

I actually got a Batmobile off eBay, but it was broken, so I never even got to the stage of trying it with Mac OS. I'd like not to be tied to a card that's so difficult to acquire, so I can just get one easily.

captainsiberia said:
Ok, since the Batmobile is hard to get, I need some advice. Will another company's 5770 do? Will it be as compatible? Will it work ok? Please advise!

No necessarily OOB. For example I have a Powercolor Radeon 5770 that works perfectly with chameleon's graphics enabler. I was using an EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX + that also worked OOB. The radeon was not much of an upgrade on the MAC side (getting about 30 fps on Cinebench 11.5 vs 27 with the Nvidia), but the card is a lot (and I mean a lot) smaller and uses less power. Overall I am very satisfied with the upgrade. I would definitively recommend the card. I got it on Ebay at a fairly good price.

Good luck with your quest.

All of the 5770s ive used have worked fine OOB. These include, Asus, HIS, Powercolor, and Gigabyte.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I got the Sapphire 5770. Works fine. Didn't have to change a thing. (Let it be known, of course, that I am running Kabyl's branch and may have done any number of things before getting this card that are allowing it to work now.) Running at full resolution — 1680 by 1050 on my monitor — Final Cut Pro is able to install and run, so far everything's great.

Also, just to answer a question from earlier in this thread, Final Cut 7 (and previous) do not make use of your graphics card. Rendering and so forth is all CPU driven. Final Cut X, however, does use your gpu for background rendering and other tasks. It can make use of any card that works on an OSX system, so really the more powerful the card, the better functionality you will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back