Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
While I was listing all the components for my latest custoMac, I did a mistake... :(
Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B is not compatible with Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D because ram sticks are too high :? or the former is too close to the RAM board.
Unfortunately I became aware of this :oops: ... when I was assembing my build, thus I had to mount the stock cooler.

Now I think to substitute the stock cooler with a new one, but I really need to know what model is suitable to my build, in order not to make another costly mistake.

Other people suggested me to cut some cooler wings, until it adapts to the RAM sticks, but I prefer keeping Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B intact... maybe for a future build :D

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

wavesequence said:
While I was listing all the components for my latest custoMac, I did a mistake... :(
Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B is not compatible with Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D because ram sticks are too high :? or the former is too close to the RAM board.
Unfortunately I became aware of this :oops: ... when I was assembing my build, thus I had to mount the stock cooler.

Now I think to substitute the stock cooler with a new one, but I really need to know what model is suitable to my build, in order not to make another costly mistake.

Other people suggested me to cut some cooler wings, until it adapts to the RAM sticks, but I prefer keeping Scythe Mugen 2 rev. B intact... maybe for a future build :D

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Michael

I would just take the fins off the top of the Dominators - there's an allen key hole on the top of each RAM DIM and you can remove it. Just remove the ones that you need to fit the cooler - should only be 1 or 2. I wouldn't worry about your RAM overheating unless you are overclocking or over-volting it. I think that's why the RAM has those fins - if you are cranking up the Mhz in there or the timings - running it at stock should be OK to remove the fans. Plus your CPU fan will blow some air over the sticks if they are under the heat sink.

Plenty of people have done this - see think like the Noctua - they even have a specific mention of the dominators on their support pages:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=34&lng=en#14
Can I use Corair Dominator RAM with the NH-D14?
The NH-D14 is a large cooler that extends over the RAM slots on most mainboards. While DDR2 Corsair Dominator don't fit underneath the cooler, DDR3 Corsair Dominator do fit when the removable top heatsink is taken off as shown below. Please also note that the NF-P12 fan can be moved upwards or taken off in order to improve RAM compatibility as shown here.
nh_d14_dominator_ddr3.jpg

I know that's not your cooler but I'm just saying that the Dominators cause this problem and CPU coolers do recommend to remove the fins.

That is a much better option than using the intel stock cooler which is quite bad compared to the Scythe !

: )

Notshy and Dr. Who ?

Thanks for your replies. :D
Unmounting the motherboard isn't a thing that I'd do.
I need some time to reflect and study the best solution at the lowest cost.

On the other hand I'd like to lightly overclock my CustoMac and in this situation I can't proceed due to the stock cooler.

wavesequence said:
Notshy and Dr. Who ?

Thanks for your replies. :D
Unmounting the motherboard isn't a thing that I'd do.
I need some time to reflect and study the best solution at the lowest cost.

On the other hand I'd like to lightly overclock my CustoMac and in this situation I can't proceed due to the stock cooler.

If you want to change your fan then you are going to have to unseat your CPU cooler at some point and if you are going to put any half decent cooler on then you usually have to put some sort of back plate. Maybe the Corsair H70 doesn't need it because it's not that heavy.

In my view - it's a 30 min job to get some decent cooling on your processor and you can easily get a decent overclock on your processor. I got mine up to 3.8Ghz with an afternoon's testing and it only runs at around 65-70 C on full stress for 1 hour so it's perfectly safe. I've chucked just about every stress test at it for a long period of time and never had any issues. Your i7-950 has an extra 2x on my i7-930 so I think you could get 4Ghz easily and a fair bit more with a bit of work.

Good luck with your choice but I'm not a fan of the intel coolers and think you'll have to take it off at some point.

Joys of building your own machine .... !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back