Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
What would you build for good 'ol Dad this fathers day for around 1000 bucks.

FULLY supported system, good power consumption to be running for long periods of time perhaps all day is a must.

look forward to what you guys come up with

Thanks!

What is he going to do on the machine? Is it just surfing and light office work then i3. If little more photo editing, audio edit and easier video edit then i5. i7 is out of the budget.

ITX, mATX or ATX system? I'm thinking of a mATX or maybe ITX system.

Integrated graphics in CPU ok?

I'm thinking of a Core i3 2125 (Or 200MHz slower 2105) or a Core i5 2405S. Depending on what the budget can deliver an what price you get. Most people will probably recommend the i3.

Good power consumption...? Do you mean that it consume much or a system with low power consumption? :crazy:

i3 2105/2125, 8GB ram, SSD system drive (If can fit budget) and/or one 500GB/1TB 2,5" storage drive, GA-H67N-USB3 (GA-H61N-USB3 only have 2 internal SATA connectors), Integrated graphics, good ITX case and slim slot in DVD.

Yeah I'm thinking of a mini computer too.. I meant low power consumption so it doesn't run too hot. He's not doing any crazy computer work but I want it to have some pep for him, his computer now is sooo slow. SSD for sure.

How is using the intel HD3000 graphics? I been hearing about artifacts etc. I have a GTX8800 laying around I can throw in there for him, but what mini cube case do you know of can accept a dual slot GPU??

Thanks!

CPU: Core i3 2125 / 2105
MB: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3
MEM: 8GB - 2x4GB 1600MHz CL9
SSD: SATA 3! Crucial m4 128GB? (Often recommended series) Samsung seems also recommended some times.
HDD: 2,5" 5400rpm for storage / Time Machine (5400rpm more silent then 7200 but slower)
CASE: It is hard to find a good case. Look at mini-itx.com online store but their is a lot more out there. The PSU takes up a lot of space but most low power consumption system can easy work with Pico PSU 150/160W. Search for "Apple Cube 2.0" here in the forum.
Graphics: Integrated in Intels processors isn't for gaming but can handle low graphics. Look at reviews. The case also depends on if you want an graphics card. And if you plan for a extra graphics card, get a case with support for DTX board (ITX with extra card slot, like Silverstone SG06.)

I just got a Silverstone SG06 "special" with USB 3 ports at front. I will rebuild it some, remove PSU, change it for Pico PSU, vibration damp hard drive bay, sound isolation and other stuff to make the case better.

I have 8GB ram in my current system and I do not do much and still some times it writes to the swap.

Go buy him a Mac Mini ;)

Your father might appreciate a well made item with warranty support, and in a compact format. Who gives a hack as a gift? I know I wouldn't! But then, I'm not you obviously :)

Also, they are less than $1,000...

Seconded for the mac mini.

get him a Mac Mini.

Your budget is $1000? Here's my shopping list.

Mac Mini - $599
Apple TV - $99
ipod touch 8GB = $199
Sub-Total: $897

Then throw in some $100 Gift card so dad can buy some apps and movies for the iPod and AppleTV
Total: $997

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back