Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Plus
  4. Portable
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina (15.7.03 installer). Everything went well until setup. When I chose ethernet for connectivity using DHCP the machine restarted back into setup (choose language, etc.). Since ethernet was not working and the WiFi option was grayed out, I chose "machine not connected to network", or words to that effect, the setup finished and booted into Catalina. When I open system preferences/network I see "no services in this location". If I click (+) to set up a service I get a pop-up stating "Preferences Error: There was an error in network preferences".

The system had functioning ethernet and Wifi (via a TP-link card) under Mojave.

Based upon info I found on this site I accessed the config.plist file on my boot drive EFI using Clover Configurator 5.17.0.0 and checked the FixLAN and FixRegions boxes. This did not fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Which kext are you using to activate your Intel Ethernet port? Where is it located?

You may need to have either one of these kexts in your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder for your ethernet to work:
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext, or
  • IntelMausi.kext
Without a compatible kext your Ethernet won't work, and won't show in System Preferences > Network either.

I can only assume your TP-Link WiFi card is not supported in macOS Catalina. You probably need to add the kexts you used in Mojave to your Catalina /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

This thread may contain the answer to your WiFi card not working - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n900-not-working-after-install-mojave.257115/ If your TP-Link WiFi is Atheros based.

Edhawk. Thank you, I've been chasing so many issues with this rig that I managed to forget to run Mulitbeast after installation. Ethernet in good order now, I'll chase down my wifi issues at my leisure. I tried applying the security update (2021-008] both from system preferences and by downloading and running the .dmg file. Neither approach succeeded, although the Safari update worked from system preferences, but that's a topic for another thread.

Edhawk. Thank you, I've been chasing so many issues with this rig that I managed to forget to run Mulitbeast after installation. Ethernet in good order now, I'll chase down my wifi issues at my leisure. I tried applying the security update (2021-008] both from system preferences and by downloading and running the .dmg file. Neither approach succeeded, although the Safari update worked from system preferences, but that's a topic for another thread.

Try the Terminal.

Code:
softwareupdate -l
sudo softwareupdate -i "macOS Catalina Security Update 2021-008-10.15.7" --restart

You need to make certain it boots from the Install OSX entry on the reboot or it will not complete the update.

I came across your thread whilst having a similar issue with Wi-Fi.

Try this - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...92xx-93xx-hackintool-wi-fi-fix-option.318426/

Fred. Worked w/out a hitch! Thanks! Still haven't managed to apply the 2021-800 update, will work on that now secure that I can re-establish wifi after.
PS. That 13 minute video explaining how to use Hackintool could have been shot in 3 minutes or less.

Fred. Worked w/out a hitch! Thanks! Still haven't managed to apply the 2021-800 update, will work on that now secure that I can re-establish wifi after.
PS. That 13 minute video explaining how to use Hackintool could have been shot in 3 minutes or less.
Excellent!
I just did the security update too, this helped get it right - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-catalina-security-update-2021-008.317922/#post-2298006

I had to reapply the Hackintool wifi fix again after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back