Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all.

I'm looking to build a hack to run Pro-Tools, all of its plugins and possibly Photoshop and Reason.

Im not on a budget, but I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money.

I really just need help on what parts to buy, I've never built a PC, have done my research, doesn't seem impossible.

Ideal parts:
1 tb hdd. I'm strongly against ssd, I think its absurd to spend that much money on that small amount of space.
8 Gigs of ram. any of the I cpu's.

Open to suggestions on the parts and open to people's opinions about the ssd. thank you.

Pesos46 said:
Hello all.

I'm looking to build a hack to run Pro-Tools, all of its plugins and possibly Photoshop and Reason.

Im not on a budget, but I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money.

I really just need help on what parts to buy, I've never built a PC, have done my research, doesn't seem impossible.

Ideal parts:
1 tb hdd. I'm strongly against ssd, I think its absurd to spend that much money on that small amount of space.
8 Gigs of ram. any of the I cpu's.

Open to suggestions on the parts and open to people's opinions about the ssd. thank you.

ProTools likes SSD drives, trust me ;)

Jayster said:
Pesos46 said:

Why are you against SSDs? When you buy a SSD, you aren't spending the money on space, you're spending them on performance. If you spend $150 on a 120GB SSD for you boot drive, you're buying a quicker start up time, quicker application start up time and you'll see an increase in system speed. I am by no means an expert but in today's world, SSDs are probably one of the most essential components for speed.

Jayster

Ditto. Then you use a normal HDD of a larger size to back up the SSD to hold larger project files or random data. It's hard to express how much I love my SSDs!
Photoshop opens before I depress my mouse! Coming from a powerbook G4 laptop, that's an eternity.

I understand about the performance, but jesus, its just a large amount of money for such little space.

Any how, I have seen some comments on the recommended builds that say some things are wrong, starting up etc.

Admittedly there have been issues with SSDs, but the cost is really coming down and you should try using a system with an SSD before you dismiss the technology.
Sure, per GB it's more expensive than a mechanical drive, but once you see how quickly things load, I'm sure you'll change your mind.

Pesos46 said:
I understand about the performance, but jesus, its just a large amount of money for such little space.

Any how, I have seen some comments on the recommended builds that say some things are wrong, starting up etc.

Good luck with the build!

Pesos46 said:

Maybe, but Hackintoshing is an imprecise process. You're not going to find anything better than the CustoMac builds.

Im just looking for someone to give me some insight about a build they have tried that has worked without a problem. I want to build something that isnt going to backfire on me in the long run.

Jayster said:
Pesos46 said:
Im just looking for someone to give me some insight about a build they have tried that has worked without a problem. I want to build something that isnt going to backfire on me in the long run.

Then perhaps you should check out the Golden Builds for some more insight.

Jayster

Thank you, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back