i5-6600
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My 7 year old build appears to be toast. Regardless, it's an older i7 740 and the GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 FH motherboard so it's fairly long in the tooth.

I bought these components off the buyers guide:
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
  • Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Intel Boxed Core I5-6600 FC-LGA14C
  • Gigabyte Graphics Cards GV-N75TWF2OC-4GI (GTX 750 Ti Windforce 4GB)
  • Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2)
I'm going to (attempt to) reuse the following components:
  • COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W power supply
  • Corsair 240G SSD, Crucial MX300 528GB SSD, other RAID configured disks
  • LiteOn BluRay burner
  • Antec Three Hundred ATX Case
  • Edirol UA-25
  • Logictech HD Webcam

All of these components worked with my previous build so I have little reason to believe they won't work well with the new components. I do want to be able to use the Audio in/out on the Gigabyte for driving my speakers (in is not really important)

Am I missing anything at all in my new components?

My needs are fairly simple -
development / test workstation that I use for running VirtualBox VMs so 32G RAM is nice with the option to up to 64 if I need it in the future. I have dual 27" high resolution DELL LCDs which the old Batmobile card drove so I have no doubt the GTX750 will handle it easily.
I also do a bit of video production and multi-track audio recording from a Behringer XR18. I think all of this should be QED with the new setup as it was QED with the old setup. I'm assuming with the new i5 being faster benchmark than the i7 740, and the newer components that I may see an improvement in video rendering and some other tasks.

Thanks TRS - that's exactly where I picked it up and I'm almost certain I used the TonyMac links from the BuyersGuide.

A few questions if anyone knows:
  • Is it safe to assume this build should be slightly easier to manage than the older GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 FH which seemed to require some extra work to get things like the Audio and NIC working correctly?
  • I was able to use Clover and I think I'm very comfortable with that route - is that the preferred method for newer hardware and ensuring that iMessage / Facetime work?
  • What is the suggested machine type / emulation for serial number? With the older board, I used MacPro 5.1

A few questions if anyone knows:
  • Is it safe to assume this build should be slightly easier to manage than the older GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 FH which seemed to require some extra work to get things like the Audio and NIC working correctly?
  • I was able to use Clover and I think I'm very comfortable with that route - is that the preferred method for newer hardware and ensuring that iMessage / Facetime work?
  • What is the suggested machine type / emulation for serial number? With the older board, I used MacPro 5.1
Should be much easier using Clover and booting UEFI. I would start out with the default iMac 14,2.

Probably should have picked a different video card...

GTX 750 Ti Windforce 4GB + Sierra doesn't seem to work well. I've found several threads on using the WebDriver from Nvidia found at Insanely, but I have yet to make it work. This guy seems to have a solution, but it doesn't seem to be working for me

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-sierra-10-12-5-gtx-750-ti-problems.222854/

I'm connected to a 27" with a DualLink DVI cable but Graphics says "Display 14MB"

Getting close.. I'm going to keep messing but any suggestions are appreciated.

My geekbench score is pretty decent (my opinion only) with this build:
Single : 5149
Multi : 15025

Let's hope I can go another 7 years before I need an upgrade :)

Hey @trs96 - I picked up an Aorus GV-RX580AORUS-8GD to fix my old build with a new card. I notice you have the same one. I'm getting a black screen after boot and I *think* I have everything the way it should be. Here is what I've done, let me know if I missed anything:

Updated to 10.15.7 - All works, but only with Nvidia GPU - very slow as expected
Mounted EFI

Code:
# diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *525.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk3         524.9 GB   disk0s2

disk0s1

Dropped Whatevergreen.kext v 1.4.8 in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

Reboot, no dice.

The original system was setup with Clover if that matters. I believe I should just be able to place a kext in the above mentioned directory and it get picked up on boot - is that correct? What other steps should I try?

Thanks

Update - all is good - Lilu was also needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back