Contribute
Register

New build. Stuck getting from 10.6.3 to updates & Lion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Pleasant holidays to all.

My configuration is listed on my profile and in my signature

I've been able to install my retail dvd of 10.6.3 thanks to the guides here, via iBoot.
I can successfully install 10.6.8 after running UpdateHelper and the 10.6.8 Combo Update, then MultiBeast with the DSDT for my motherboard on the desktop.

On restart, though - I get the Apple logo screen then a blank grey screen. I've tried un/re-plugging the HDMI cable to no avail, and using a VGA cable for output without positive results.

I dug around the multitude of information on the forums and though maybe 10.6.6 would be sufficient to at least get to the App Store to purchase the Lion update and move forward. The install completes. But after MultiBeast, the machine reboots to just the Apple logo screen. I booted with -v and see a failure with [RealtekRTL81xx Init] kext v0.0.90 rooting via boot-uuid frame /chosen: 262E1b7A-3EC-3C2-B345-BAF1928-4DA4D and I see mention of can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement on chip buffer frame.

There are a couple of things I'm not sure of. My BIOS version on the motherboard - I didn't look before I started everything. I booted via a Windows utilities CD and determined it is now F11. This DOES seem to be the most recent version on Gigabyte's website, but I don't know if me making the changes described in the installation guide would increment the version. Reading this post http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=264&t=36296 made me wonder.

I did follow a guide to extract the DSDT for my motherboard and patch it appropriately, and I used that one on the 10.6.6 update attempt with MultiBeast.

The same post I mentioned above (http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=264&t=36296) states:

using HD 3000 on-board, Integrated Graphics, I had to set one Advanced BIOS Features parameter - On-Chip Frame Buffer Size. I had 8GB RAM, so I set it at 480MB+2MB for GTT. If you have 4GB RAM, set it to 384. I also turned off the Full Screen LOGO Show parameter.

HOWEVER after initially using iBoot, I don't know how to get into my BIOS settings any more. The initial screen that flashes up with the Gigabyte graphic and lists the options is very very quick, and I've tried repeatedly to beat it - ready with the key press before/during/after that screen comes up, without success. That's what made me resort to the bootable Windows Utility CD to get the BIOS version, because I no longer seem to be able to get into the BIOS.

I think that setting that other BIOS option sounds like a good next step, I can wipe the partition for what's now 10.6.6 and do a fresh install of 10.6.3 then update to 10.6.8 - but at this point I feel like I've tried everything I know how to do or have been able to glean/absorb from reading around.

I'd love it if anyone had a further idea for what to try! Thanks.

disconnect all sata cables.
boot machine, at first black screen tap delete key repeatedly
it should go into the BIOS

Check the back plane connection board and your user manual. Do you have a CMOS reset button on the panel?
Do you have a CMOS reset on the mobo inside the case?
You can use this to set the BIOS back to factory default if needed.

Once in BIOS, go to inteligent tweaker page. BIOS version is listed at top of page

THANK YOU, Going Bald! I temporarily felt helpless until your very logical and simple idea to pull the SATA cables was presented. After a full day of reboots and attempts, I'm now writing from my hack 10.6.8 now. It's not perfect/stable and for now, I don't care, as I intend to take it up to 10.7.2

I thought I'd share what I went through in case this helps someone:
  • I updated the BIOS with the setting suggested in my original post.
    Used iBoot to boot from the Retail 10.6.3 DVD
    Installed, rebooted via iBoot to Snow Leopard install on hard drive.
    Ran MultiBeast with my User DSDT of the F11 BIOS I had built
    Ran Update Helper
    Rebooted w/ iBoot to Snow Leopard install on hard drive.
    Ran 10.6.8 combo
    Rebooted to hard drive directly - got a kernel panic: "No HPETs availabe. CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n~"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-142.6/pmThread.c:157" ... then it mentions .com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPPowerManagement(142.6.0)
    Even with that error, I was able to boot to 10.6.8 fine via iBoot
    Ran MultiBeast selecting Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts&Enablers/Miscellaneous/NullCPUPowerManagement
    Successfully rebooted to hard drive directly.
    No ethernet - and as at all stages, video limited to just 1024x768
    I had failed on the prior MultiBeast to run the system utility tasks of Rebuild Caches & Repair Permissions
    So, I ran MultiBeast with the NullCPUPowerManagement again, also Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6 & included the System Utility
    SUCCESS! Boots to HDD directly, ethernet works
    Went to App Store to get Lion update
    Got error "Device or computer could not be verified. contact support for assistance." upon attempted login to purchase the app
    I don't know if it was present at a prior stage, but there was also no audio at this point
    Added the Universal....72 option from MultiBeast, got the "You need to reboot" error in the midst, but on reboot all worked fine.
    Read around the forum for how to fix the problem of lack of app store access, used MultiBeast for customizations- PCIRootenabler
    Still didn't work
    After a couple of hours of tries/retries, I finally got things to work by using EFI Studio to "Add Device" to get the ethernet's hex value, the clicked Add To com.Apple.boot.plist which altered the /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/ version of this file. I opened it in Text Editor and copied the portion that looks like this: <key>device-properties</key><string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600051c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string> and then opened the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and pasted this in, saving the file. Then I went to Network Preferences and removed all entries there (clicking the - option where +/- are on the left bottom of the pane. Then went back to /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/ and deleted the entries that had to do with Network Interfaces. I may have run MultiBeast again for the PCIRootenabler at this point, I don't recall having done it so many times. Then rebooted. Went directly into system prefs for Networking and clicked the + to add an entry - and the kicker was that on all previous attempts it said something like "Ethernet Protocol (E02)" but when things finally worked, I had an option that simply said "Ethernet"
    Once that was added back, I _WAS_ able to get to the App Store and purchase the Lion Update
    I backed up my 10.6.8 progress because it took a LOT of work to get this far, and before continuing I at least wanted a point I could start from and be fairly far along.
    I created the All In One Unibeast USB for the Lion Update, but on booting from it got to the Apple logo screen where the spinner goes around - and it stopped spinning after a point and never proceeded.
    Tried the same process for Unibeast but instead of USB, I made a MBR partition on a hard drive and used the boot loader to select it from the options - it gets to a point then the machine reboots without it ever loading. I tried the USB stick from the boot loader too, but got the same behaviour as before.

so that's where I am now. Trying to keep my cool/patience - but considering I'm writing this whole post from a hacked install of 10.6.8 is a nice boasting point!

I've about reached the hilt for one day, but perhaps in the morning I can try again to get up to 10.7.2 and would love anyone's input. Thanks and good night!

OK. I also used the xMove method to try to update to Lion - but suffered the same results. It seems to boot to a certain point then reboots.

I wonder if I should focus on getting 10.6.8 stable and viable first?

I know at this point that the following things don't work:

-boot from hard drive when I haven't nullified the CPUPowerManagement
-Sleep doesn't work
-display resolution is limited to just one. My "real mac" lets me pick 1360x768 for my monitor, and I prefer this setting
-USB 3.0 ports don't work - when I used MultiBeast to put on the LaCie support for them, it worked but when I pulled the plug (hot-swap) for a mouse, the system crashed

All those items I am fine waiting for if I'm able to get Lion installed and then deal with them then. What do you guys think? Fix them now - then try to continue the update - or just update then worry about fixing?

thanks!

verymodern said:
THANK YOU, Going Bald! I temporarily felt helpless until your very logical and simple idea to pull the SATA cables was presented. After a full day of reboots and attempts, I'm now writing from my hack 10.6.8 now. It's not perfect/stable and for now, I don't care, as I intend to take it up to 10.7.2

I thought I'd share what I went through in case this helps someone:
  • I updated the BIOS with the setting suggested in my original post.
    Used iBoot to boot from the Retail 10.6.3 DVD
    Installed, rebooted via iBoot to Snow Leopard install on hard drive.
    Ran MultiBeast with my User DSDT of the F11 BIOS I had built
    Ran Update Helper
    Rebooted w/ iBoot to Snow Leopard install on hard drive.
    Ran 10.6.8 combo
    Rebooted to hard drive directly - got a kernel panic: "No HPETs availabe. CPU(s) configured incorrectly\n~"@/SourceCache/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement-142.6/pmThread.c:157" ... then it mentions .com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPPowerManagement(142.6.0)
    Even with that error, I was able to boot to 10.6.8 fine via iBoot
    Ran MultiBeast selecting Drivers & Bootloaders/Kexts&Enablers/Miscellaneous/NullCPUPowerManagement
    Successfully rebooted to hard drive directly.
    No ethernet - and as at all stages, video limited to just 1024x768
    I had failed on the prior MultiBeast to run the system utility tasks of Rebuild Caches & Repair Permissions
    So, I ran MultiBeast with the NullCPUPowerManagement again, also Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6 & included the System Utility
    SUCCESS! Boots to HDD directly, ethernet works
    Went to App Store to get Lion update
    Got error "Device or computer could not be verified. contact support for assistance." upon attempted login to purchase the app
    I don't know if it was present at a prior stage, but there was also no audio at this point
    Added the Universal....72 option from MultiBeast, got the "You need to reboot" error in the midst, but on reboot all worked fine.
    Read around the forum for how to fix the problem of lack of app store access, used MultiBeast for customizations- PCIRootenabler
    Still didn't work
    After a couple of hours of tries/retries, I finally got things to work by using EFI Studio to "Add Device" to get the ethernet's hex value, the clicked Add To com.Apple.boot.plist which altered the /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/ version of this file. I opened it in Text Editor and copied the portion that looks like this: <key>device-properties</key><string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600051c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string> and then opened the /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and pasted this in, saving the file. Then I went to Network Preferences and removed all entries there (clicking the - option where +/- are on the left bottom of the pane. Then went back to /Library/Preferences/System Configuration/ and deleted the entries that had to do with Network Interfaces. I may have run MultiBeast again for the PCIRootenabler at this point, I don't recall having done it so many times. Then rebooted. Went directly into system prefs for Networking and clicked the + to add an entry - and the kicker was that on all previous attempts it said something like "Ethernet Protocol (E02)" but when things finally worked, I had an option that simply said "Ethernet"
    Once that was added back, I _WAS_ able to get to the App Store and purchase the Lion Update
    I backed up my 10.6.8 progress because it took a LOT of work to get this far, and before continuing I at least wanted a point I could start from and be fairly far along.
    I created the All In One Unibeast USB for the Lion Update, but on booting from it got to the Apple logo screen where the spinner goes around - and it stopped spinning after a point and never proceeded.
    Tried the same process for Unibeast but instead of USB, I made a MBR partition on a hard drive and used the boot loader to select it from the options - it gets to a point then the machine reboots without it ever loading. I tried the USB stick from the boot loader too, but got the same behaviour as before.

so that's where I am now. Trying to keep my cool/patience - but considering I'm writing this whole post from a hacked install of 10.6.8 is a nice boasting point!

I've about reached the hilt for one day, but perhaps in the morning I can try again to get up to 10.7.2 and would love anyone's input. Thanks and good night!
In all of the above, I did not see any mention that you ran the download. When you downloaded the Lion file it put an icon in your dock. You need to run this before you try to create the UniBeast USB installer as it adds the Install Lion app to your apps folder.

Hi, Going Bald! Thanks for your reply.

I detailed the full escapade of installing 10.6.3 and updating to 10.6.8 - but I did not detail today's activity at all trying to update to 10.7.2 so I can see why that could've been confusing, and pardon my misstep with that.

I thought I had followed the steps exactly for the UniBeast All-In-One http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/10/unibeast-install-mac-os-x-lion-using.html - yes I _DID_ run the app downloaded form the app store, and the Install Lion application was in the applications folder. The USB stick had about 4.5 gigs on it, as did the hard drive partition I tried. I gave it a go with xMove too, also to no success. What I had missed from the UniBeast All-In-One steps was the bit about the command line flags:

You may have to type extra command line flags to reach the installer.

* AMD Radeon 6670 - type PCIRootUID=0
* Unsupported graphics - type GraphicsEnabler=No
* Boot in Single-user mode - type -s
* Boot in Verbose mode - type -v
* Boot in Safe mode - type -x

In my case, GraphicsEnabler=No was necessary. I successfully got through the installer, but have not yet achieved success with a reboot via any method or flag. Another user looks to be having the same trouble, which is detailed on this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=43693&p=275989#p275989. I'll post further updates as there is news to report.

Thank you very much once again.

Still haven't achieved success updating my SSD build of 10.6.8 up to 10.7.2 - as in my last post's reference to another thread, there is an error about "Still Waiting For Root Device" that shows repeatedly when using boot flags -v -x - it only gets so far. Without the boot flags, I might see after about 2 minutes' time a square block over the Apple logo's leaf with the "NO" symbol in it (that you might see on a no smoking sign - the circle with a slash through it).

I rebuilt 10.6.8 on the SDD. Cloned this to two partitions on a traditional hard drive.

I used the Unibeast method for 10.7.2 install (actually, did this prior to rebuilding 10.6.8 on a wiped-clean SSD - same error as before with still waiting for root device) and was able to successfully install 10.7.2 and boot to it on one of the HDD partitions. Ran MultiBeast, after reboot did not have ethernet or good video support, so ran MultiBeast again and then it was hosed. The -v - x information shows the same error: Still Waiting For Root Device. I'm wondering if 3rd Party SATA might be the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back