Contribute
Register

New build starts and stops after 2 sec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugo, what exactly do you mean by "wrong" RAM?
Certainly, if you have defective RAM, your boot might not make it into BIOS (the BIOS needs to use RAM to run, after all).

Carbine's CPU seating issue is also worth another look.
Assuming you are using a CPU cooler with 4 plastic push pins at the corners, it's very easy to not-quite-fully seat the CPU cooler. In fact, it's usually difficult to properly seat the cooler if you already have the motherboard in the case, as you want to be supporting the back of the motherboard with your hand as you push down each pin. You should also push down the pins in the order of an "X" pattern, doing one, then the one opposite, then the last two.
Can you post any hi-resolution photos of your motherboard/CPU/RAM area, both top and bottom of board?

Yes i looked after the Cpu's cooler but everything seems to be ok

Wrong Ram means that it's not in the compatibility list of the mobo innit

will make some tests/swaps and keep you up

thanks

I'm having the exact same issue.

x58a-ud3r
i7-960
g.skills ram

i get 2 north bridge/ram yellow overvoltage lights, tried everything (even returned my PSU and got a new one)

could it really be that gskills ram doesnt work with gigabyte mobos?

A few notes about RAM:

The "compatibility lists" are *inclusive*, not *exclusive*. In other words, if your exact module is on the list, it should work. If your module is NOT on the list, it MOST PROBABLY will still work. The MB companies don't have the time and money to test everything, so they just test a few different modules to show that their board works OK.

A great basic stability test for your system, before you try to install OS X, is to burn a memtest86 bootable CD, boot the system from that and let it run to test your RAM for at least a few hours and preferably overnight. If it shows *any* errors, you've got some sort of config or hardware problem.
Here's the link:
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Also, if your BIOS has any overall memory performance settings that allow normal/turbo/extreme modes (or similar), make sure to set this to "normal" (mine had a default of "turbo").

Along those lines, make sure your BIOS is using the standard memory settings from the module's SPD, not EPP/SLI or XMP "performance" profiles.

One other thing to note is that memory module makers often market their modules as having better performance by using higher-than-standard voltages when they spec module performance. Essentially, they are selling the modules by the overclocked specs! The standard voltage for DDR3 modules is 1.5V, for DDR2 modules it's 1.8V. If your module's specs note a higher voltage, it's being sold under an overclock spec. If you are having memory problems, you can try boosting your memory voltage setting in the BIOS a little bit, as the RAM standard voltage allows for plus/minus 10%. Thus, you can set DDR3 voltage to 1.65V (1.50+0.15V) and DDR2 voltage to 1.98V (1.80+0.18V) without worrying at night. Sometimes, this is enough to "stabilize" otherwise marginal memory modules.

thanks Mondoman but i can't have access to the Bios :(

yep, sorry, that was more of a general post. Your situation must be pretty frustrating! Any chance you can post photos of your motherboard, graphics card, RAM setup?

I had a similar problem. I thought it was the psu and replaced it, but I still had the same problem. I unplugged everything but the cpu, a stick of ram, and the psu. I tried everything. I then bought another board and was able to get the computer running. Then I had a different problem... The video card now does not work. So, now I can't get to the bios to set everything up.

It is really depressing when you just want it to work.

Let me know if you find out what the problem is. It could be the same problem I have, not sure.

Sorry, I am not much help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back