Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
i9 108050k
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi Guys! Been an professional audio/video editor and have been using a 2015 Macbook Pro for so many years but it's now time to build a Hackintosh.

I was wondering if someone could do a check of the gear I'm going to purchase and see if you guys see any issues with it? I've basically gone off TonyMac's customacpro except I'd like to use 10th Gen Intel i9 and 400 series motherboard.

And for UNIBeast, do I use UEFI or legacy for this build?

CPU:

Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Desktop Processor 10 Cores​

MOTHERBOARD:

GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS PRO AX LGA 1200 Intel Z490 ATX Motherboard with Dual M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Ge

RAM:

Crucial Ballistix BL2K32G32C16U4W 3200 MHz 64GB​

GPU:

SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6 Dual HDMI/Dual DP OC (Uefi)​

Networking:

MQUPIN BCM94360CD Wireless Card Desktop 5G Computer WiFi Card,Bluetooth 4.0 Dual-band Gigabit PCIE Wireless Network Card NO Driver Needed for macOS​

How does this all sound?

REALLY appreciate it. I plan on using Mojave as I still don't trust my software with Catalina.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS PRO AX LGA 1200 Intel Z490 ATX Motherboard with Dual M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Ge

Hi Guys! Been an professional audio/video editor and have been using a 2015 Macbook Pro for so many years but it's now time to build a Hackintosh.

I was wondering if someone could do a check of the gear I'm going to purchase and see if you guys see any issues with it? I've basically gone off TonyMac's customacpro except I'd like to use 10th Gen Intel i9 and 400 series motherboard.

And for UNIBeast, do I use UEFI or legacy for this build?

CPU:

Intel® Core™ i9-10850K Desktop Processor 10 Cores​

MOTHERBOARD:

GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS PRO AX LGA 1200 Intel Z490 ATX Motherboard with Dual M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Ge

RAM:

Crucial Ballistix BL2K32G32C16U4W 3200 MHz 64GB​

GPU:

SAPPHIRE Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6 Dual HDMI/Dual DP OC (Uefi)​

Networking:

MQUPIN BCM94360CD Wireless Card Desktop 5G Computer WiFi Card,Bluetooth 4.0 Dual-band Gigabit PCIE Wireless Network Card NO Driver Needed for macOS​

How does this all sound?

REALLY appreciate it. I plan on using Mojave as I still don't trust my software with Catalina.

Thanks in advance!
If you want to run Mojave you should not go with a 10th generation build like your list. I have not heard of a single instance where anyone successfully install Mojave on Intel 10th generation hardware.

I strongly recommend going with a build based on Intel 9th generation CPUs and motherboards if you want to run Mojave. My main system uses a 9th generation CPU and a Z390 motherboard which runs MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.

If you want to run Mojave you should not go with a 10th generation build like your list. I have not heard of a single instance where anyone successfully install Mojave on Intel 10th generation hardware.

I strongly recommend going with a build based on Intel 9th generation CPUs and motherboards if you want to run Mojave. My main system uses a 9th generation CPU and a Z390 motherboard which runs MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.
Hey!

Really appreciate the reply.

That's super useful, and It'll make my build cheaper anyway.

Do you think the WiFi/Bluetooth card I'm using will be okay? Which one did you decide to get?

Thanks!

Hey!

Really appreciate the reply.

That's super useful, and It'll make my build cheaper anyway.

Do you think the WiFi/Bluetooth card I'm using will be okay? Which one did you decide to get?

Thanks!
I don't use WiFi/Bluetooth as I have no need for those functions (I have broadband internet at home). So I am afraid I can't offer any useful advice there.

Why you cannot use 10.15.4 with 10th gen CPU?

bansuri97 does your ethernet works ?​

@bansuri97 - is this the very first CustoMac you've ever done? If so, then I would concur with @james-bond007. You'll find a ton of guides that you can use as your roadmap for Z370/Z390 builds.

About 7-8 months ago, I did a build for my better half, and over the holidays upgraded him from Mojave to latest Catalina. He's working on his 2nd CD project (guitarist/vocalist - Berklee grad). This thing is a BEAST!

Actually did a clean install on a 2nd spare SSD drive, so I didn't mess with his working Mojave. Once that was up & working, then we used Migration Assistant to get all his data files (note - don't do system and apps from the MA restore). Let him test-drive that for a while, then cloned it back onto his regular NVM3/m.2 boot drive.

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro WiFi
Intel i9-9900k
32GB G.SKILL Trident Z (2x16GB)
Samsung 970 PRO 512GB NVMe/m.2 SSD (boot & apps)
4GB WD RED NAS-rated drive for Logic/Digital Performer projects & sample libraries
Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX580 Special Edition (8GB) GPU
IOGEAR USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter (doesn't need WiFi as he's got CAT6 to the box)
Corsair water cooler

Best wishes on the build!
--B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back